Yamaha Safety Recall Notice

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I received a letter today from Yamaha regarding a recall of F4 ~ F70 Outboard Motors. I have not seen the official notice on Yamaha's website but when it become available I will post a link.

"The reason for the recall: In affected outboards, an O-ring in the NOA (North America) fuel connectors, NOA fuel hose assemblies, and fuel tanks with the NOA style connectors, manufactured beginning April 1,2011, may develop a cut or tear. As a result, the fuel may leak from the fuel connector, either while the outboard is being run or during storage, increasing the risk of fire."

If you believe your outboard may be one of the affected, contact your nearest Yamaha dealer or call 1-866-894-1626.

Feb 17, 2006
Here is the second letter I received regarding the recall. It is in .pdf format.

Attachments

Feb 17, 2006
I have found out that the purpose of the safety recall is to replace faulty, round spin-lock connectors like the one pictured below. These connectors on the motor and fuel line will be replace with tradition barb type connector. This process can be done by anyone but you should check with your Yamaha dealer first.

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
So, not necessarily the o rings themselves, which can go bad at any time?

Mar 3, 2009
Beneteau 49 Atlantic City, NJ
I had the spin type fittings replaced last year with the first recall. This recall replaces just the tank fitting. It is replaced with the same style of fitting so it could be a way to replace the o rings. My dealer doesn't have the new part in yet.

Feb 17, 2006
According to the Maint. Dept Manager at Sea Witch Marine, the spin-on connectors are out, done with, ka-put... They are to be replaced with the 1/4" barb connector on both the motor and fuel tank. You might want to double check with Yamaha. I can't say who is right, all I can say is I was given a bag with new (barb type) connectors and new hose, all at no charge to me. Just had to bring in the old spin-on connector and hose.

Mar 3, 2009
Beneteau 49 Atlantic City, NJ
Yes, that was last years recall. They replaced the fitting on the engine and gave me a new hose and fuel tank. This years recall they want me to bring in the fuel tank only to replace the fitting.