Y-25 PARTS

Mar 18, 2012
Yamaha 25 Dana Point
Hi All,

I have a Y-25 and am need of a few parts. I emailed Mr. Suzuki per the YamahaSailboats.org website, but not sure if they are available yet and I would like to get these repairs done ASAP.

I need the hinges for the front hatch, a shifter cable from the Yanmar YS8 to the cockpit shifter and would really like to find a replacement waterlock muffler.

I repaired the waterlock muffler via a local welder about 4 years ago, but it is leaking again.

Any insight on these items or suitable repairs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg
Dana Point, CA

Mar 18, 2012
Yamaha 25 Dana Point
Hey Yamaha Sailboat owners! Mr. Suzuki did reply, however unfortunately stated that all replacement parts have been gone for some time now. Well, I think I found a replacement shifter/control cable with a Glendinning PRO-X 64BC (24 feet). http://www.go2marine.com/product/24...s-teleflex-ccx640-cc694.html#list-of-products

It does not look like any of the Vetus waterlock mufflers that will accommodate the long exhaust run AND fit into the engine compartment, so I guess I will try sealing the leaks with Duraglass Fiberglass filler. http://uschem.com/index.cfm?page=productDetail&id=52

That is 2 outta 3....hinges may be the most difficult, so off to Minnies Marine Surplus I will go in Costa Mesa, CA to see if I can find something that will fit.

Hope my answers can help others, and if anyone has additional insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg

Dec 17, 2014
Yamha 25 Gig Harbor
When I got my Yamaha 25 the prior owner had used epoxy on the outside of the muffler but it still leaked. I then had a sheet metal shop weld a new stainless steel bottom on the muffler which lasted about 2 month before it leaked again. The solution was to coat the inside of the muffler with epoxy gas tank sealer. I used Caswell epoxy gas tank sealer motorcycle kit from Amazon. The muffler works well and hasn't leak for about a year.

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Yamaha 25 MkII Sugar Bay Lake Macquarie
Hey Yamaha Sailboat owners! Mr. Suzuki did reply, however unfortunately stated that all replacement parts have been gone for some time now. Well, I think I found a replacement shifter/control cable with a Glendinning PRO-X 64BC (24 feet). http://www.go2marine.com/product/24...s-teleflex-ccx640-cc694.html#list-of-products

It does not look like any of the Vetus waterlock mufflers that will accommodate the long exhaust run AND fit into the engine compartment, so I guess I will try sealing the leaks with Duraglass Fiberglass filler. http://uschem.com/index.cfm?page=productDetail&id=52

That is 2 outta 3....hinges may be the most difficult, so off to Minnies Marine Surplus I will go in Costa Mesa, CA to see if I can find something that will fit.

Hope my answers can help others, and if anyone has additional insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg
Front hatch hinges,like you, I tried few places and internet and ended up making them myself of 3/4 square pipe and about 1/8 wall thickness.They do not look the best but they do the job

Attachments

Jul 9, 2004
Yamaha 30 - Sidney
Front hatch hinges,like you, I tried few places and internet and ended up making them myself of 3/4 square pipe and about 1/8 wall thickness.They do not look the best but they do the job
Great solution Furdui!
Mine are hanging in, but the end is easily in sight. Now I see hope for replacement. Whew

Jan 4, 2008
Yamaha Y25 mkII Long Beach, Ca.
Wow, looks like the world wide solution! My friend ( a welder/fabricator) and I came up with the same idea using 1 inch stainless square tube cut diagonally. Only difference is a whole lot of polishing!!!!
Nice job Furdui!
P.S My friend always believed " if your going to do something - do it to excess !
IMG_20160913_211346457.jpg
"

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
Wow, looks like the world wide solution! My friend ( a welder/fabricator) and I came up with the same idea using 1 inch stainless square tube cut diagonally. Only difference is a whole lot of polishing!!!!
Nice job Furdui!
P.S My friend always believed " if your going to do something - do it to excess ! View attachment 128185 "
Wow,your friend is a professional!!(or he owes you big time) ,it looks great.
Then the question arises,does'nt he want to make a nice profit by offering them for sale?,I (and possibly others)would be a client.

Mar 18, 2012
Yamaha 25 Dana Point
Syntonos...I am down the road in Dana Point....how much would your friend charge me for a set of those?

Jan 4, 2008
Unfortunately he passed away a number of years ago, and yes he was a master metal magician. Any good metal fabricator / welder will be able to duplicate the process. It requires two machined bocks be welded in place to accept studs for bolt mounts. Which y25 did you buy? Thought I new all the boats in the area. With a bit of time I can get a drawing done of how it's made. Furdui's design looks the same just not a shiny.... Furdui are your mount points welded in place or did you figure a way to bolt it together?

furdui

Jun 4, 2011
I've reused the fix part of the old hinge,would be nice to find the tube with inside dim. equal with the width of the holed head bolt,otherwise spacers on each side.
I made them in a hurry in one afternoon with a angle grinder and a cordless drill.First the top end and taper,then have the hatch in position,the hinge connected to the fix part,some weights on top,(I was singlehanded!),marked the fixing holes from underneath,drilled them.With a bit of patience,a flat head screwdriver,position the nuts one by one inside tube and screw tight two 6 mm bolts from underneath.Tapered part is nicer welded and ground.Same silicone inside tube takes care of waterproofing and locks the nuts.

Jan 4, 2008
There ya go gobluemich290, two solutions to the problem, welcome to the forum!

Mar 18, 2012
Yamaha 25 Dana Point
Thanks all....I got my y25 in 2003 from a guy that had it for a couple years out of Laguna Beach...will work on fabbing something on my own. Much appreciated...and sorry to hear of your buddies passing, Syntonos.