XM Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2004
Catalina 350 Pasadina
I am thinking of adding XM to our 350. Does anyone have recommendation on placement of the antenna. Thanks

R

Rodney S/V Sashay, C-42

Sirius

Our Sirius installation has the antenna inside the boat right under the deck. The antenna is located on top of the nav station equipment cabinet. We get full bars through the deck on the signal strength meter even with the deck wet.

T

Tom S

I do the same with my Sirius Satellite

In fact I don't have anything other than a simple little car antenna with the magnetic base

Feb 10, 2005
- - Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
XM antenna placement

I installed XM satellite radio using the car kit and a standard 12 volt car radio. I initially placed the antenna on the inside of a port in the salon. ( attached to the plexiglas ) I got good reception in the harbor, but to my disappointment, once underway I discovered reception was intermittant depending on my boat's direction of travel. I moved the antenna to the top of the transom and have gotten good reception ever since. The instructions with the car unit said the antenna needs a ground plane ( gets this from the sheet metal on the car) but the reception problem seemed to be resolved when I moved the antenna to the outside of the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.