Xintex charger

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
A new Xintex 20 charger has been installed on boat I'm interested in. PO claims it has ability to identify 3 separate batteries and charge specifically to each as needed? Little bit that I read about this charger does not seem to concur.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
A new Xintex 20 charger has been installed on boat I'm interested in. PO claims it has ability to identify 3 separate batteries and charge specifically to each as needed? Little bit that I read about this charger does not seem to concur.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Bob
What model is it?

I have a 40 amp Xantrex Truecharge 2 Charger, it can charge 3 banks. However, I use it as a single bank charger. So model number/name etc. would be important to know.

However, I wouldn't get too hung up on this point if its a boat you are looking at. Xantrex chargers are lower middle of the pack. So I wouldn't base a purchase decision on a $300 piece of equipment. Plus 20 amps is likely an undersized charger for what you want. The 40 amp is undersized for me.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You know, I just presumed that was a typo because I don't think Xintex makes chargers. Just smoke and CO detectors and stuff. But I guess I shouldn't assume stuff like that.

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
OK thanks for the quick reply. According to the survey it is a XintexTruCharge20 My question was can it sense 3 different batteries and charge them individually and simultaneously?

Thanks again

Bob

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Re: Xintex charger ??? perhaps not...

Bob,

I think your surveyor was wrong. I just did a search on your Xintex [sic] and got this:
Truecharge Battery Charger | Truecharge2 20A, 40A, 60A | Xantrex

Truecharge battery chargers provide fast, accurate charges while prolonging battery life. Truecharge2 battery chargers are ultra-compact and provide a full charge even when using off-the-grid power.
xantrex.com/power-products/battery-chargers/truecharg...

You may not be aware of our C34 website. Here is a link to an excellent charger article one of our skippers, who is our Technical Editor, wrote sometime ago (check the dates). Might apply to your charger.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4352.0.html

Please feel free to wander around our website in addition to this one here, plenty of C34 specific info for you.

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
Yep it's a Xantrex. Sorry should have researched this a little better before posting. Owner was a little embarrassed as well. Stu thanks much for your info. Love this forum!!!

Bob

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
My Xantrex TC20+ was new (when I installed it) in 2005. :D Never-the-less, it has three separate outputs for three separate batteries (or banks). Yes it does detect the state of charge of each individually and can provide different output charging currents to each. The thing to remember however is the total of the three will always be 20 amps. So as one battery fills up the others will split the now available capacity. But as many have done, its okay to gang all three outputs together and charge a single battery or single bank then use a battery combiner to switch to a second bank when the first one is charged. This automatically splits the load on the three outputs so any one is not stressed to its maximum output.

Since my boat is mostly at the dock, 20 amps has seemed to be fine even with 4 6 Volt batteries (400 + amp hour capacity). Even at 50% discharge when I get home it only takes 10 hours or so to charge up again. I usually don't discharge that much after a long trip and I don't get back to the boat for a week or more anyway. Some have also said that the lower rate of charging on the batteries can result in a better charge when taken to completion.

Attachments

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
Allen thats that seems to answer the question, which makes me wonder if there is any real advantage to adding a combiner with this charger?
I guess thats the root question.

Many thanks

Bob

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Allen thats that seems to answer the question, which makes me wonder if there is any real advantage to adding a combiner with this charger? I guess thats the root question. Many thanks Bob
The combiner will be a bigger advantage to alternator or solar charging. But when you add a combiner you should remove all but one run from the charger.

boblin

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 34 Milwaukee
Thanks for info. Hope to be in position to offer advice some day myself.

Bob