wrench for opening fuel gasket on 473

Apr 30, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 473 Baltimore, MD
We have a 2008 473, and the previous owner neglected to leave behind the tool to open the fuel gasket ! We've looked everywhere but can't seem to find a replacement. Its a star shaped similar to water fill, but its significantly smaller. Help!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That is not say that a wench couldn't open a fuel gasket. I believe they are equal in abilities to anyone, but endowed with superior "attributes".
;)

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I wanted to open the fuel gasket but the french wench hid the wrench under the bench next to the trench causing quite the stench........

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Beneteau USA Parts in Marion, SC sells a double-ended tool. One end is the water/waste fitting, and the other end is the fuel fitting. Last one I bought was <$20.

When you get your fill cap off, measure the o-ring gasket and replace it with a new one spec’d to fuel exposure. Do that every year or so.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Get two while you're at it. If you let loose on one... and the fillers are probably close to the toe rail. I put a loop of line on the wrench to put around my wrist . It would be nice to see if the standard cap would fit the fuel thru-deck fitting. They are only different so you can not put water into the fuel tank.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
4 functions 1) small pin 2) big pin 3) Star (winch handle) and 4) straight slot.

I don’t know if one key floaty will keep it from Poseidon or if two (more?) are required. I’ll test at home in fresh water.

Mahalo

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Okay, here's the scoop, folks. In spite of the cold weather (it's cloudy & 50 degrees), I went to the boat to research this. The waste and the diesel filler screw-caps are the same size. Of course the thru-deck fittings have the fuel/diesel/water pictures on them. I only swapped the fuel and waste caps, but I assume the water cap is the same. Only the water and fuel caps have a chain to keep them attached. The waste cap is the same cap, but the center bippy is not drilled to accept the retaining screw for the chain. I removed the water chain years ago so I could put the water hose into the deck fitting. I noticed if the screw comes off the fuel cap, it could easily go into the fuel tank. I think I will do away with that chain also, as it does get in the way of filling the tank. So, If you have one extra filler cap, you could use it for any cap you might lose overboard. AND, you need not buy that small drive wrench- just the cap. I think they make those caps in colors, in plastic? My boat is a 2006 B323.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The newer design with the 'flip up' turn piece is great. We changed all the originals for that design when we put in new deck fittings. Do not get the colored plastic ones, even tho they look great when new -- the UV will weaken the material. The ones with the pop-up opener also look neat, but corrosion will attack that little hidden spring.

The SS "flip up" ones are working fine for about a decade, for us.
BTW, our originals also had the winch handle molded-in socket. Worked ok if you kept an 8" handle around solely for that use --- can be a tough 'fit' depending on what is beside the opening along your deck. I recall that those winch-handle-access ones were originally from a French company, and might have been distributed by Hood, in the US. Even if true, just low value trivia now. :)
Our new ones were from Scandvik, but a quick search shows them now only available as close-outs. :(
I hope the SS version stays in production, somewhere else.