WRAP OR TARP

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi All -
So last year I had my H23 pulled - put onto my trailer and Wrapped up for the winter with a door. It cost me a pretty penny but my thought was come late winter /early spring - I could then work inside - which when I did I found it almost impossible and ended up waiting til better weather to work on my boat.

Anyway - I'm thinking of simply getting blue tarps and drapping the boat (on the trailer) this winter, which would save me a good amount of coin.

Any recommendations/methods here?

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hi All -
So last year I had my H23 pulled - put onto my trailer and Wrapped up for the winter with a door. It cost me a pretty penny but my thought was come late winter /early spring - I could then work inside - which when I did I found it almost impossible and ended up waiting til better weather to work on my boat.

Anyway - I'm thinking of simply getting blue tarps and drapping the boat (on the trailer) this winter, which would save me a good amount of coin.

Any recommendations/methods here?

Thanks!
I use tarps over my mast. The mast is sitting in its cradle so it makes a nice tepee effect. However I do not recommend the blue tarps. They really do not hold up well to UV damage and in my experience do not hold up even one season. At the very least buy the heavy duty poly tarp... or if you want to spend a little more coin, tractor supply has very nice heavy duty canvas tarps. Those will last a life time. I overlap my H26 with three tarps instead of one long one. First off it is about the same price but if one tarp rips, I can just replace the one smaller tarp instead of having to buy and restring the entire tarp. Also the smaller tarp is much easier to handle than one enormous tarp. Most people bungee and I do some as well, but you will need A LOT of bungees if you go only bungee. I buy some of that para-chord you can get a Lowes and I lace my tarp to the trailer in one continuous line. You can get a snug fit that way without putting too many stress points on the tarp from an over stretched bungee. It is the stress points (say over a stanchion pole) that cause the tarp to rip.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
super smart move rgranger on the 3 instead of the large single tarp - great tips!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Drew, Why did you find it impossible to work with it wrapped? That is important to know so people can give toughtful recommendations. Is your boat in New Hamburg Canada, MO, NY etc. How much snow do you get and does it accumulate on the cover? Are you near the boat where you can keep an eye on it and remove excess accumulation of snow so it doesn't freeze and clog cockpit drains? Do you even get snow? Are you trying to heat it with electric heaters so you can work? DO NOT USE A COMBUSTION HEATER IN A WRAPPED BOAT! You could end up dead and it also puts a lot of moisture in an unvented wrapped boat. Let us know what your circumstances are and what work you are wanting to accomplish.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
place a tennis ball under the tarp, and wrap the line around the tennis ball, then tie off.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
cheers smokey - new hamburg new york - yes we get snow - nope on any heaters inside nor any plans too- and now that the interior work is done (I redid the carpet and electronics etc earlier this yer) I really won't need to get into the boat til the spring. I live about 15mins from the marina too. I'm really just trying to save $$ (baby on the way plus just bought a house - but my wife wont let me keep in on our property:) So at the marina the H23 will be. cheers!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Drew, from the sound of it then tarps is the way to go and you've already got some good suggestions from others that use tarps. In NY I'd be sure to go by after a snow to make sure that the tarp didn't collapse and let snow, water get into the cockpit scuppers or drains and then freeze. That also goes for leaves and anything else that can allow the cockpit to full up. That could lead to a real problem later including a build up of water that could spill into the cabin and ruin a lot of work you've aready done. That's probably one of your biggest concerns.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you have any traps for any of the drains, put a 1/4 cup of the pink anti-freeze (environmentally friendlier) into the drain before winter.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Neither!

Our h27 has wintered outdoors on the south shore of Lake Erie for 41 years without any cover, or any damage to the boat. Cockpit drains are just that. Unless the are very poorly designed, they drain water overboard - none to freeze and cause problems. 80% of the boats stored outside at our marina take the same approach. Seems to be a big expense and a lot of work for very little benefit.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I would urge extreme caution if placing anything over the mast like tarps. If you must then support that mast well. I have seen them bend masts that collected water , snow and ice often not secured. Replaced many masts.
Water ballast boats from hunter have walk thru transom so suggest elevating some bow up
Use non toxic anti freeze only for sink drains and even any with marine heads if storing in extreme winter conditions.
Above suggestions apply to Hunter water ballast. There is more but you get the gist.
As for the water ballast tank keep open when stored on trailer

Nov 18, 2016
Hunter 260 Lucky Peak, ID
Thanks Dave +1.

I disconnect the pressure water system and run RV antifreeze into the galley and head lines. With ballast tanopen have never put antifreeze in there. Boat is kept in an open covered storage shed. No issues with snow loads but it sure gets dirty from the winds.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Great suggestions above on tarps, but here's another ... The key to keeping any cloth from self-destructing in wind (tarps, sails, etc.) is not letting it move. That means that your lines must be extremely taught. Any movement will allow rain or snow to accumulate in depressions on the top, and flogging will tear it to shreds. Use tennis balls rather than the grommets to provide attachment points and truckers knots to give tension. You should get a twanging sound out of every tie-down, or it isn't doing its job. Lastly, inspect it often during the winter, and re-tighten everything.