Wow, a mysterious beauty

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
There's an elderly British lady who sails a 50 odd foot boat that looks quite similar, though I believe hers is English built.
She cruises the islands every year and is pretty much a full-time liveaboard with 2 big dogs and a native crew. She races at Antigua race week and is quite the character.
Last year we saw the boat hauled and you could have knocked me over with a feather. I had expected the traditional long keel with the rudder hung on the back! Not so fair friends, she was a radical fin keel with a post hung spade rudder.
So, once again, never judge the underbody of a boat by her topside looks.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
f
There is full headroom below, and I think that was the tricky part of the design. A centerboard boat under 40' or so, is a game of inches. Instead of a typical keel stub to house the board, and keep the retracted board below the cabin sole, this has more of a whale shape below the waterline. It's easy to fit it all in if you don't mind looking at a box on the water, a lot tougher to make a sleek, low in the water 36'er, with an efficient centerboard.

As I recall, this boat draws about 30-32". The dual rudders allow less draft than the retracted centerboard.

This boat was systems heavy, electric everything, even a bow thruster.
She's for sale. Pretty much a brand-spankin' new boat. I'm on the Friendship email list and just got the notice. From the ad:

CARY ALI is a unique offering in that the boat has never fully been put into service. The 33" draft one-off cold molded wood sailing yacht was expertly crafted by the artisans of Rockport Marine. This beautiful one off creation completed in the late fall of 2013. CARY ALI was then launched, sea-trialed and then decommissioned for the winter season.. The boat has been stored in a heated inside since that time.
No expense was spared in the construction of the boat. Nothing but the highest quality components and craftsmanship went into this build. The carbon fiber mast, boom, carbon standing rigging and Doyle Stratis sails exemplify the level of quality inherent in this build. She is, by all accounts a usable work of art.

Custom built by the craftsmen at Rockport Marine, CARY ALI is an expertly crafted, one-off cold molded wood / epoxy sailing yacht that embodies all of the desirable features that have become synonymous with Friendship Yacht Company built boats. CARY ALI was commissioned by a Friendship 40 owner who required a boat with a fixed hull draft of only 33". A draft that would allow the boat to be moored at the owners water front home dock. Because the owner's schedule is occupied by a continuous world cruise on board a his 140' motor yacht there is no time for this unique creation.

CARY ALI has remained stored inside at Dodson Boatyard in Stonington CT. She is by all accounts a brand new / unused boat with only 70 hours on the engine.

CARY ALI will launched and moored in Newport, RI for the summer months.​

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
I think daily functions would not allow time for diamonds to form.