Worth Fixing?

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
How do you make this type of repair? I see that Catalina Direct has a shim kit made for this type of repair. Anybody have any pictures of a mast step that has been repaired?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
this was not a repair, just a replace on our '84....two bolts involved, one lag thru into the compression post and one nut & bolt forward of that thru the cabin top...as to repair, same as any other hole repair, drill out, epoxy fill, drill again, countersink the gelcoat surface to avoid spider cracks in the area, and done...not complicated, but chk for soggy surrounding deck area and address that while in the process....butyl tape the area and install the new maststep...

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
There is 100 other things that could be wrong with this boat... $2200 is too high. Even if the trailer is as great as it looks, I'd be very picky about paying $2K for this boat. Take up Gene on his offer, he knows what to look for. The fiberglass repair to fix the mast step isn't a big deal, it's other things I'd be worried about.

Berto

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina C22 Cedar Key
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to wait and look for a boat in sail away condition. The well loved boat that is being sold so they can move too something bigger. A lot of times spending more upfront can be cheaper in the long run

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A lot of times spending more upfront can be cheaper in the long run
that is a wise position to take. It isn't just about the values of the boat but about the value to you. Someone who wants to go sailing doesn't have the same motivation as someone willing to take on a project. Whatever that boat is worth, trailer or not, it is work to get her whet you want her. You can't just epoxy the step back into place. That glass has been damaged, the black around the edges looks like rotting core from sitting out exposed or it was rotten before. Either way, there needs to be a replacement of the core under and around that step, something to reinforce and spread the load, glass had to be added to reinforce the broken fibers. Not a big job, most likely, but a job that needs to be done right or worse could happen.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
Wow nice trailer is it galvinized? wHY ARE C22 Popular in key largo is it because o f the shallow draft? I would get serious about this one but would give it a look over.Looks clean.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
wHY ARE C22 Popular in key largo is it because o f the shallow draft?
The guy in Key Largo runs a rental place. That is the boat that he has sort of standardized on for his rental fleet. He's got a pretty big bone yard of C22 parts boats.

Berto

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina C22 Cedar Key
Right before Christmas I brought this home 1986 Oday 22. It's in Ok shape, the trailer is what needs most of the work. Guess I'm going to have to move to the other forum.
IMG_20171227_170554269_HDR.jpg