Worth Fixing?

Berto

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina C22 Cedar Key
New guy here. Been shopping for a C22 and found this near by. wasn't looking for a project but, this caught my eye. Seems they have ripped the mast step off the deck. question is should I be considering this boat or keep looking. It's a 79 and the asking price is $2200
deck.jpg

cat.jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The mast step is an easy fix. Boat and trailer look pretty good but check the hull integrity, swing keel and the condition of the sails. That is the asking price but I'm sure the seller anticipates and will accept a lesser offer. Does it have a running outboard engine? If it does and everything checks out I would offer $1,700 and hope to settle around $1,850. To command the asking price a 1979 model would have to be in tip top shape and already the missing mast step shows is not. Check the standing rigging.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Anything is fixable as many have demonstrated here. The question is are you wanting the work. You'll need to check the deck for rot in the plywood core and then the compression post etc. since the step is broken off and you don't know why or how long it has been missing. Also check out the buyers guide and the price guide on the Catalina 22 association site as it is an invaluable resource if you're looking for a Catalina 22.

https://www.catalina22.org/index.php/697-coming-november-1-catalina-22-buying-guide

Rich Fox did a great job of compiling this one and noting common issues / areas to inspect. I will say though the trailer does look clean.

Berto

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina C22 Cedar Key
Thanks guys, just sold my boat this morning so it's time to get serious about finding next one

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Fix the step, sell the boat for 2k and sell the trailer for 2k, and step up.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
There is a guy in Key Largo that usually snaps up all the C22s in the area. I'm surprised that he missed that one.

If the mast step is the only real damage, I would probably buy it for that price. Take a good hard look for other damage.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Berto, we're practically neighbors. I live in Orange Lake. I'll be happy to look at that boat for you or with you if you need another pair of eyes.
Bingo best thing you could get is a well seasoned C22 sailor with an emense knowledge base to go with you. If @Gene Neill offered me this opportunity I would jump on it.

Berto

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina C22 Cedar Key
Berto, we're practically neighbors. I live in Orange Lake. I'll be happy to look at that boat for you or with you if you need another pair of eyes.
Thanks!! Maybe try and look at it this weekend. This is going to be the biggest sailboat I've had so I'm sure to have some questions

Aug 22, 2017
Take a look at the pivot pin & hole in the keel that it goes through. If the keel is sitting low when retracted, that is a danger sign.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Berto, +1 on all the above, that trlr looks sweet and dual axle under a C22 are not all that common. You'll have to look long and hard to find another C22'er as knowledgeable as Gene Neill.....take him up on it and keep us posted. The boat looks good from the limited pics as well...

Berto

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina C22 Cedar Key
Berto, +1 on all the above, that trlr looks sweet and dual axle under a C22 are not all that common. You'll have to look long and hard to find another C22'er as knowledgeable as Gene Neill.....take him up on it and keep us posted. The boat looks good from the limited pics as well...
I'm very appreciative of all the help that had been offered been lurking around and seems like a great community.
Kinda bummed that I have a pocket full of money and can't get off work to start going and looking for a boat

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I see more pros than cons for a '79, at least the seller (if true) was just not capable of taking the mast down properly, and wasn't dismasted on the water due to failed rigging....key's would be chainplates/soggy deck areas, keel & condition of sails...Gene'll guide you with confidence....and the fact that you have "a pocket full of money" is a big plus! LOL

(if you spend some time digging thru old posts, you'll find plenty of worse C22 specimens here that have been resurrected...as well as the knowledge base to get you thru most anything on a C22).

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
"Last trip out, we let the mast down too fast and it pulled the bracket out of the top of the boat"
This statement causes me serious concern. What this really says is the mast got away from them and it crashed down hard. For it to pull the step out, it had to have some momentum and the sliding hatch acted as a fulcrum. I would take a long, hard look at the sliding hatch for impact damage as well as the back of the mast for any dents where it impacted the hatch, and then the traveler bar. Finally, look closely at the masthead as well because after the step pulled out, it likely hit the traveler bar and then slid back as it continued to pivot and the masthead likely hit the ground. If you find that the mast is dented or tweaked anywhere from the incident, I would take a pass on the whole thing.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
One more thing I see that concerns me. In two of the pics you can see some sort of metal channel on the companionway. At first glance I thought someone converted it to center boom sheeting and that it was a track for a traveler. But upon zooming in on the photos, I think it looks like unistrut. IF that is what it is, then it is obviously there to beef up the area where the keel winch is mounted. If they had to go to that drastic of a measure to support the winch, you need to find out why. I suspect the wood core in the companionway step could be rotted and it was likely sagging or the winch mounting bolts were starting to pull through. You could be looking at a pretty extensive repair.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
One more thing I see that concerns me. In two of the pics you can see some sort of metal channel on the companionway. At first glance I thought someone converted it to center boom sheeting and that it was a track for a traveler. But upon zooming in on the photos, I think it looks like unistrut. IF that is what it is, then it is obviously there to beef up the area where the keel winch is mounted. If they had to go to that drastic of a measure to support the winch, you need to find out why. I suspect the wood core in the companionway step could be rotted and it was likely sagging or the winch mounting bolts were starting to pull through. You could be looking at a pretty extensive repair.
good eye, good point!...and winch looks new(er)...
chk cockpit drains and entire cockpit floor....

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
From what I can see and from what I have been through I would jump at this boat = NO QUESTIONS!!!!

The trailer alone is payback... The hull looks good and the beading around the hull deck joint looks good. Everything else is fixable easily!

Call in sick, take the day off and rush over to the boat...

Aug 22, 2017
I agree with Greg M that the trailer is likely worth the asking price, but I still recommend caution. If the hull has other serious problems that you do not know about yet, then you may end up saddled with something that is not worth fixing. A dead hull is not something that is easy to get rid of. It's a liability. It's also possible that the trailer has problems. That shiny silver color may just be fresh spray paint over serious rust. You may have bad bearings, etc. You will not know until you look at it in person.

The fact that the boat has been on Craig's list for less than 24 hours makes me agree that you should rush over as soon as possible. It very well may be a good deal that nobody else has looked at yet. Anything that has been listed there for more than a few days has likely been passed on by others & usually for a reason. The fresh listings are the ones that you want to jump on quickly. If a good deal is going to be found on Craig's list, it is usually found in the fresh listings.