Worst sailing update ever

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
When my sports cam arrives I'll show you the other side of our winter.
I'll be looking forward to it!

I've been a Florida cracker for the last thirty years - plus I was born here - but in between, I did spend a winter in Alaska, several winters in West Virginia, and three winters in Germany. So while I'm very unaccustomed to cold weather now, I'm not a stranger to it. In junior high, I had the only electric-start snowmobile on my street. ;)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Electric start sled ! Nice.
I grew up with dirt bikes, but the neighbour had sleds, and one of them needed some serious maintenance. It was a serious struggle to get it running if you shut it down once it was hot.
Pull...pull.pulll. ugh.

Alaska would be amazing for sledding.

I've given up on most outdoor winter sports. I have drifted away from downhill skiing, and the wife won't go winter camping. Ice fishing, like normal fishing, seems kinda goofy to me. I'd rather just buy some fish (much cheaper) , and go do something else.

But being a bit of a car nut, I like this.....

2017's first race is today. :)
The season is done at various locations, starting with a tiny lake here in the city. The final race is on Lake Winnipeg, coinciding with a spring Ice Festival

Should be a great year since my nephew is racing for his first season.
I encouraged him in the car nut world. Now he's eclipsed me, and even has a sideline business modifying cars.

I hope to get my Sports cam soon, so i can shoot my own videos. (ones above are not mine)

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Ice fishing, like normal fishing, seems kinda goofy to me.
It has sustained me through a winter or two.

Quite the action sport, that ice racing. The near whiteouts in the corners probably make for some puckering moments!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It has sustained me through a winter or two.
What I enjoy about fishing is the time out in nature, and the relative solitude (depending on location of course).
We have a big family fishing trip every spring, and I always joke that because we always catch our limit, and end up releasing the rest, I could simply just sit in the boat with a coffee, and enjoy it just as much. :)

My buddy catches master angler fish all the time, and I suspect that when it comes right down to it, the fish catching is just a secondary thing. Except for braggin' rights. LOL

Damn expensive fish when you do the math, but heck just sailing makes even less financial sense. hehe

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Quite the action sport, that ice racing. The near whiteouts in the corners probably make for some puckering moments!
It's a great sport. It's all about driver skill and not car performance, which makes is affordable.
Too much power can be a handicap.

The cars are all old cheap FWD ones, and with a roll cage, helmet, racing coveralls, and snow banks, it's much less risky than normal track racing.
(My nephew's team has a Head And Neck Support to prevent whiplash, but it is not mandatory)

The non-studded racing is slow, and takes a lot of skill, but with studded class you can hit high speeds.
Non-studded is usually for beginners but I think it takes more skill to be really good at it.

It's about the cheapest fun you can have in a car on a track. Best part is, like other hobbies, it can make winter very fun.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The cars are all old cheap FWD ones,
Ah, was wondering about that. I'll admit, I've drifted around many a public intersection, but had to use the parking brake to induce a good drift when front wheel driving.
I do miss some aspects of northern living. :biggrin:

Regarding the fishing, I suppose it boils down to the "do you eat to live, or live to eat" question.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The first video compilation shows an old Datsun RWD car against all the FWD cars. He's awesome to watch, but doesn't have much of a chance. the RWD class died due to lack of teams.
Ah, was wondering about that. I'll admit, I've drifted around many a public intersection, but had to use the parking brake to induce a good drift when front wheel driving.
I do miss some aspects of northern living. :biggrin:
A buddy had a turbocharged Dodge/Mitsubishi Colt, which had a old style e-brake pedal. He disabled the release mechanism, so the pedal would never lock. He'd use it as a "rear only" brake. It made drifting in summer, and winter, easy as pie. Much nicer than using a handbrake.
:D

The first video compilation shows an old Datsun RWD car against all the FWD cars. He's awesome to watch, but doesn't have much of a chance. the RWD class died due to lack of teams.

The big thing is the end of the straight...... wait a bit too late to slow down, and you are in the snow bank. Common to see cars off the track there, or bouncing off the snowbanks.

Pull the dents out and head out for the next race. :)

Edit: The second video shows a car with much of the dash internals intact, addon guages etc.
Some have almost nothing but the original gauge cluster, and HEATER controls. hehe
Get an old car, weld in a cage, rip out everything else you don't need.
Like fishing, it doesn't really matter if you win. It's all about doing it.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I meant that once we started talking about racing cars, it wasn't a very good SAILING update.

However, I've enjoyed ALL the posts a great deal.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hehe Yup. I knew what you meant. My previous posts didn't come across well.

"Worst sailing update"=any posts where sailing isn't happening.
But then again, almost all the refit posts here fall into that category. :D

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Oh oh..

This whole thread has me wondering about a workable solution to sailing on a frozen lake, where the snow is uneven and deep and not good for a normal ice boat.

Now look what I found.....
Are they actually dinghies on skis ? Just a cool design ice boat ?
Not what I was looking for, but.... Anyone care to mod their C22 ?
Drop the keel assembly, mount on ski framework.... :D

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Much more carbon-neutral use of Winter.
[ducks head]

[flings empty beer bottle @justsomeguy's head]

But heck YES, if I lived up there in that frozen, moose-infested hell, I'd be SO in for some of that ice sailing stuff! Pull the boat out of the water in the fall, and set it straight onto it's ski-chassis!

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
I went ice skating once and fell through the ice. It was cold at the time. My dad made me walk back home 'cause I was crying. "Don't be a baby" he said. "I told you not to walk on the shallow ice" he said. My kids wonder why I'm so tough on them.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
That couldn't happen today, as you'd be charged with child endangerment, and CPS would come and take the kids away. Not sure that is a change for the better.

Bet you never walked on the thin ice again, did you?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Much more carbon-neutral use of Winter.
[ducks head]
Racing old cars is recycling, creates employment in parts manufacturing, prevents mental illness/cabin fever, improves road safety, and helps warm things up so those of us who are unfortunately too experienced with ice, can finally get our traditional palm trees back. ( Like the ones we had when those dinos were here, and the climate got originally changed) :dancing::biggrin: