Worst sailing update ever

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Merry Christmas Gene, the fabric is nylon and was acquired from Joann Fabrics, the supports are fiberglass tent poles purchased from Dick's Sporting Goods, add in some bungee and paracord, a couple caribeaners, and the inspiration came from this site: http://www.kayarchy.com/html/01equipment/014sailingkayaks.htm
View attachment 131402
One thing I should have done was add a plastic sheet window though.
I was actually thinking of using clear 16 mil vinyl for the entire sail. :)

Thanks for the link, and the inspiration. Merry Christmas!!

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
Gene, I've seen many guys on the west coast of Vancouver Island packing an umbrella in their Kayak, they just hook the handle into the cockpit lip and away they go. The first time I saw one coming at me it took awhile to figure out!...Merry Christmas

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It is not appropriate to gloat and I feel very sorry for those who have to put their boats up for months at a time.
Only because there isn't a person foolish enough to drag it across the Coq in this kind of weather. :)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Which leaves a question... Does anyone haul their towable boat south for a winter holiday ?
If my truck had better tires and I had the time, I'd do it.

Aug 1, 2011
towable boat south for a winter holiday
Don't look at us. Even with a diesel one ton, there's no way that I'd be able to get it out of the back 40. Not that the thought hasn't surfaced on occasion.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Which leaves a question... Does anyone haul their towable boat south for a winter holiday ?
If my truck had better tires and I had the time, I'd do it.
We tow our C-22 all over the country, Living in Florida now, last summer we hauled the boat up to Michigan to escape the summer heat to attend the C-22 Great Lakes Cruise on upper Lake Michigan, then stayed and dropped her back in the water at Lake Superior and Lake Huron, then towed her down for some cruising on Lake St Clair and the St Clair Flats.

Don

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Don't look at us. Even with a diesel one ton, there's no way that I'd be able to get it out of the back 40. Not that the thought hasn't surfaced on occasion.
Hehe Yeah.
I plan on heading out to my sister's place, to check on the boat.
With all these snow storms, I figure I'll make sure it's ok for snow load.

2 feet so far. One from a "Colorado Low", and now you guys are sending a "Alberta Clipper" with a projected 6 inches more.
Last year we had almost no snow.

They have a tractor, with both snowblower and bucket attachments, so if I ever get fed up, I can dig it out, and give it a shot.

The only towing I've done on winter roads, was in the city with a dual axle flat deck, but as long as someone kept an eye on the weather, had good tires, and kept their speed down, it would be fine.

For us, while it's colder (which usually means dry highway conditions), it's a straight shot south to the gulf coast, with no mountain passes to deal with.
I'd have to get better tires on my truck. Even with the weight of a 3/4 HD diesel, they slide around on anything in winter. I don't drive the truck in winter so I've not bothered to get better ones.

The real problem, for us, is efficient holiday time use. As they say, nothing goes to windward like a 747 flying to the harbour where your bareboat is waiting. :D

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
We tow our C-22 all over the country, Living in Florida now, last summer we hauled the boat up to Michigan to escape the summer heat to attend the C-22 Great Lakes Cruise on upper Lake Michigan, then stayed and dropped her back in the water at Lake Superior and Lake Huron, then towed her down for some cruising on Lake St Clair and the St Clair Flats.

Don
Yup. Have you ever done it in winter ? And I mean with snow etc. not that pool weather you guys call winter ;)
It would be a great write up or youtube series.

Aug 1, 2011
Have you ever done it in winter ? And I mean with snow etc. not that pool weather you guys call winter ;)
It would be a great write up or youtube series.
Yeah, you can always tell who the Canadians are at the Florida resorts in the winter. They're the only ones in the pool.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
That ... is the saddest thing I've ever seen. :(
When my sports cam arrives I'll show you the other side of our winter. I wish we had a lake with enough flat, snow free ice, so we could make the most of it and get out in Ice Boats.
Way too much snow this year (almost 30 inches so far). We set a 100 yr record for snow in December, and more is on it's way. Last year was the warmest winter on record here with barely any snow. This year we got warm-ish weather which dumps snow, interspersed with really cold weather which has the benefit of no snowfall. The weather is goofy.

If you want to see real winter, I think I still have a video of a white out up at 64' N, when I worked on an ice road. :waycool:

Last edited: