working the main sheet

• Thread starter frank barbehenn
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frank barbehenn

My question: I am a novice. I am not sure how to handle the main sheet which is attached aft combined with tiller handling. Specifically, if I keep the main sheet uncleated, how do I "carry" the main sheet and in which hand while I work the tiller? I am concerned about working the sheet in gusts while steering. I also have a flying scot, but there the main is attached to the centerboard console and is much more intuitive. I work the main in one hand while the tiller with the other...easy to let main out and trim in while working the tiller. I cannot seem to find the knack, the balance, the efficient way to work both in the Cat. Appreciate any advice!!! Frank

Jun 5, 2004
- - Greenwich, CT
Catalina 22 mainsheet

Frank: Take a look at how I set up my mainsheet at the link below. It is more similar to your Flying Scot. Outside of that, I found the fidle block cam cleat as supplied by Catalina too tight for quick use. I replaced that fiddle block with a Harken one and replaced the Harken cam cleats in that with Ronstan cam cleats.

F

frank barbehenn

mainsheet block and cleat placement

Follow up question: what about putting the mainsheet block and cleat on the cockpit floor right under the tip of the rudder instead of the cabin threshold?? this way, sheet not in way of passenger. Thoughts??

Jun 5, 2004
- - Greenwich, CT
C-22 mainsheet cleat placement

Putting something on the cockpit floor is fine. This might be best with a barney post. I just don't like stuff I can trip on or bang a foot into. The mainshet will only run into people near the bulkhead when on a run, broad reach or possibly beam reach. This really is no different than vessels that have the traveler track positioned in front of the cabin.

M

Mike

Leave it where it's at!

I used to own a boat with a mid cockpit mounted main sheet. The main sheet obstructed the cockpit, cutting it in half. When running down wind, the main sheet conflicted with passenger's seating. I now own a C22, with the mainsheet mounted at the stern. I have none of theose problems, The main sheet is located at the base of the tiller, a great place for single handed sailing. I have also sailed on boats where the mainsheet is located at the cabin companionway, and those boats aren't easy to sail singlehanded. In a sudden wind change, it's not easy to make a quick adjustment to the main. Frank Butler knew what he was doing when he put your mainsheet at the stern. Some advice, sail your boat for a while and get used to it. Also, if you do not have a boom vang, get one.

D

Dick of Sylvan

Follow Mike

Frank: I agree with Mike. Go ahead and cleat the mainsail, but keep its sheet handy so that you can ease it when the gusts come too strong. Likewise with the gib. Where real gusty, watch the water for signs of coming gusts and if concerned release from cleats a little early. After you gain confidence with them, learn to use the traveler for even more control, and fun! Dick

F

frank barbehenn

getting used to it

Mike: Appreciate your advice and am very seriously considering it. However, help me picture how to handle the tiller with mainsheet. How do you actually work them together? Also, what about the traveler. That cannot be worked single-handed unless revised per the suggestion of bayard. Please advise soon as I hope to make any changes this weekend.

F

frank barbehenn

traveler

Dick: Re the traveler. The sheet for the traveler is cleated at the corners of the stern...no way can the helmsman reach it easily and in any timely way. Do you advise change per Mike's advice, or am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.