Working on Woodwork

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed

On the MkII C30, there a two pockets in the coaming with a piece of wood as the top, laid flush with the deck, and a "fence" to keep stuff in the pocket. I would like to remove this wood to re-finish the pieces. I can't find screws anywhere accessible. Does anybody know how these come out? Ed '87 C30 #4900

C

Chuck

"Bungs"

The "fence" as you call it should be attached with two visble flat head or oval head screws set into a collar washer and can be easily removed and replaced. The step tred is attached one of two possible ways. The most likely is that it is screwed on from the top using counter sunk screws covered with teak "bungs" or plugs. Look at the top of the step tread in each corner for a small circular ring or plug. Use a small sharp knife to cut or slice the plug open, carefully, and you will find the screw heads underneath. You can buy replacement bungs or plugs at any marine store. The second possibility is that the step tread is attached from below. Lift up your port cockpit seat cover and look under the deck for the screw heads. Be sure to re-bed the step tread when you put it back on if you want to avoid leaks.

R

Richard

Glued down

I did this on my '87 last winter. What a pain. There were no screws, they were glued down with something clear, like 3M 5200. I had a hell of a time getting them out, I tried that Anti-Bond stuff over the course of a few weeks, it helped some but, I wound up spliting them in 2 anyway. The fences came off without too much trouble. I glued the split pieces back together and refinished them. I put them back with clear silicone in case I had to remove them again. Good luck!

H

Harvey

Coaming compartment rings

If we are talking about the same thing you will probably need the following link.

Status
Not open for further replies.