working on the mast today - now for a game of what is it

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Heya guys. and gals. I'm tinkering on the boat again today and i'm coming up bupkis on a few things. photos included where i have them:

1.29512661_1586310404817916_2891420232456095507_n.jpg
so i have this arrangment at the boom and mast. small blocks, i THINK its to secure the boom down so that the pull of the main doesn't pick it up the track. Thing is, isn't that part of the boom vang's job?

2.29511995_1586310314817925_4194053766859399138_n.jpg
this line is on the boom right at the boom vang attachment. has a cleat there too. ... whats it called? or, what does it do? really. i'd look it up for myself if i had a name :D

3.29572272_1586310504817906_2562154902322129773_n.jpg
Looking at the sternside of the mast head. there's a small pin that only goes through one of the channels. I'm a bit baffled. any ideas?

429498046_1586310281484595_1632293731745633850_n.jpg
no question. just a victory lap. mast is cleared of all old flotsam and foam crap. :)

5. i have a small quarter inch thick block just below the steamer on the front side of hte mast. i'm at a loss for what it might be for. no photo

6. i'm trying to find photos of how reef'd sails are rigged. i have extra cleats and cheek blocks on the boom and i'mkinda scratching my head over all of it. its less important really, i'm sure i'll figure it out quick enough first time i put a sail on there, but i'm still a bit ocd about it :)

7. i have the mast head down. sheaves out and all. Brass bushing sheaves on stainless pins. should i replace while its apart or just clean and reassemble?

Anyways, thats me tonight

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
so i have this arrangment at the boom and mast. small blocks, i THINK its to secure the boom down so that the pull of the main doesn't pick it up the track. Thing is, isn't that part of the boom vang's job?
It looks like it is to control the height of the gooseneck. This controls the tension on the luff of the sail. Boats with a fixed gooseneck sometimes have a cunningham, which controls the luff tension. Tighter luff and the draft moves forward. A vang controls the height of the aft end of the boom, or another way, it controls leach tension. Most important for downwind sailing.

this line is on the boom right at the boom vang attachment. has a cleat there too. ... whats it called? or, what does it do? really. i'd look it up for myself if i had a name
This looks like the outhaul. It should control the fitting at the end of the boom, which controls tension on the foot of the sail.

Looking at the sternside of the mast head. there's a small pin that only goes through one of the channels. I'm a bit baffled. any ideas?
Probably the attachment point for a topping lift.

no question. just a victory lap. mast is cleared of all old flotsam and foam crap.
Mast is looking good. There does not appear to be a conduit for the wires, however, there does appear to be tracks on the right side of the photo. The tracks can hold a wire tie to secure the cables to the mast. But they are not really wire ties, just sort of like wire ties. Not sure where you could get them. Do you have a photo of the right side?

i have a small quarter inch thick block just below the steamer on the front side of hte mast. i'm at a loss for what it might be for. no photo
Probably for a topping lift for a spin pole or whisker pole.

i'm trying to find photos of how reef'd sails are rigged. i have extra cleats and cheek blocks on the boom and i'mkinda scratching my head over all of it. its less important really, i'm sure i'll figure it out quick enough first time i put a sail on there, but i'm still a bit ocd about it
Google slab or jiffy reefing.

i have the mast head down. sheaves out and all. Brass bushing sheaves on stainless pins. should i replace while its apart or just clean and reassemble?
Check for roundness and wear. If all is good, clean and reinstall. Or just replace, they aren't that expensive.

Good progress!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
the first is called a boom downhaul...... it allows you to easily remove the boom or reset its height at the mast. The vang has nothing to do with setting the height of the boom. Rather it's purpose is to keep the outboard end of the boom from rising when it gets pushed out beyond the range of the traveler. A secondary result is helping maintain mainsail leech tension.

Second picture is difficult to interpret. You can improve you equiry photos by using a contrasting background to the small parts and pieces of line can be seen better.

No brass on external boat fixtures, please. Stainless, aluminum, resin, plastic, bronze. preferred

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Tipsyravensailing,
It looks like your mast is setup to accommodate three halyard and maybe a tipping lift, as dlochner suggested. There is the pulley at the mast head for the main, the jib and a spot to install one for a genny. The cleats at the bottom to go with them. The cleat near the centerline may be for your downhaul. The steel loop would be for the vang. The one on the boom to match unless it is for the sheet block.

Your pictures are good, but lack a little context. Long and close-up shots are best.

The boom will have an outhaul and maybe a topping lift line.

There may also be extra hardware for lazy jacks.

Good luck and keep us posted.

- Will

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
upload_2018-3-24_10-32-36.png

so heres the block just below the steamer. i'm still unclear on what its job is.

upload_2018-3-24_10-34-45.png

This one is super busy :p
I = the boom cleat
II = ?
III = Halyard Cleat, jib
IV = ?
V = halyard cleat, main
VI = ?
VII = ?
VIII= round ring that halyards were clipped to since no sails but i'm gessing a pole mount of some sort? no top ring to hold the top ... unless thats what the small pulley would do? either way the pole is not with the boat so...

upload_2018-3-24_10-37-35.png

and this guy - here's the boom vang area with this very long rope thats eyespliced to a ring riveted to the mast. And those two cleats which i imagine relate to it. I'm guessing part of the reefing system some how. just... a clearer picture.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
also - i see where a topping lift may be attached to the boom - there's two very sturdy holes there at the end, but no blocks at the mast head for it. I'm not sure why two cleats are needed for the slab reefing, unless reefing the middle of the sail too?

Jan 11, 2014
This one is super busy :p
I = the boom cleat
II = ?
III = Halyard Cleat, jib
IV = ?
V = halyard cleat, main
VI = ?
VII = ?
VIII= round ring that halyards were clipped to since no sails but i'm gessing a pole mount of some sort? no top ring to hold the top ... unless thats what the small pulley would do? either way the pole is not with the boat so...
I probably the bail for the vang

II, III, IV These will be for the gooseneck (where boom connects to mast) downhaul, the main halyard, and the spinnaker halyard.

V and VI One should be for the reef, one should be for the outhaul.

VII Mast ring for the inboard end of the Spinnaker pole.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What dlochner said. The Spinnaker or whisker pole would probably just be secured on the deck near the stantions until you need it going down wind. Then the inboard end goes on the mast eye and a topping lift would go from the block near the spreaders to either the outboard end or a harness on the pole.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
and this guy - here's the boom vang area with this very long rope thats eyespliced to a ring riveted to the mast. And those two cleats which i imagine relate to it. I'm guessing part of the reefing system some how. just... a clearer picture
Usually the Vang will have a set of blocks on each end to give about 4:1 leverage. The blocks would connect to the bail around the midpoint of the boom and the one at the bottom of the mast.

Jan 11, 2014
egad. there's another cleat all the way out on the end of the boom out of photo. wouldn't that be the outhaul?
Could be, more likely it is for the topping lift. When sailing the topping lift is mostly useless. At the dock, it keeps the boom up and out of the way. When sailing the mainsail keeps the boom up. So, when you are sailing, it is time to slack the topping lift.

The topping lift comes down from the masthead, often to a small block and then there is a line that goes from the boom to the block and back to the boom.

In order to get enough tension on the outhaul it is necessary to have at least a 2:1 purchase. So the out haul goes from a forward secure spot, aft to the outhaul car and back to a cleat.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Um... I have an idea... don’t worry about it til you sail it a few times. Then you will see what makes sense to you. Then you can rig what YOU WANT! Otherwise, you are chasing your PO. I gotta tell ya, a lot of weird rigs show up over the years!