working on keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2007
Catalina 22 Scotts Flat Lake Nevada City, CA
I need to lift my catalina off of the trailer in order to work on updating keel. What is the best method of lifting sailboat safely.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Hi,

I'm sorry that someone hasn't responded to your question sooner but If I may. Some trailers will allow you access to the keel if you raise the boat a few inches at the stern. I think on mine it's about 8" off the rear bunks is a safe amount so that I can drop the four keel bolts and change the hinge pin.
As for how to do this, I created a saw horse crib type of arrangement with sturdy treated lumber but there are other ways. Some have used oil drums. Some have created frame structures and used hoists. Some have attached pneumatic engine hoists to the boat.
However you do this, consider well that you make it very safe and be very careful.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
We use two 55 gal drums placed under the transom, (the tramsom is placed at about the mid point on the drums). A 4x6x14 is placed just forward of the trailer bunks (I made pads that sit on the 4x6) The process, lower the trailer jack place the barrels then raise the jack, the aft section of the boat should now be off the trailer. With the 4x6 in placed on double stacked concrete blocks a high lift jack is used to jack the bow of the boat. It sounds like a long process but it takes about 20 minutes to take the boat off the trailer and remove trailer. I have some pictures of the system we use if you want them.

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Larry: Attached is a photo showing how we lift our C-22s. The one in the photo is my son's. It took us years to get to where we are today, but we really like this arrangement. If you have an old barn, or as in our case, an old truck garage with a high cieling, this is a good way to lift your boat. We now use 4, 1 ton winches which were purchased from Harbor Freight, and 2 straps that we had made by MSC. I think that the straps are 3 inches wide. We stuff strips of old shag carpet between the straps and the hull to protect it. With 4 people we can lift the boat up in just a minute, or with 2 people we have to go front and back, and it takes longer, but it is still easy.

Aldo

David: Thanks for your photos on redoing your keel. We want to redo ours this coming spring, and your photos and text will help.

Aldo

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.