Woofer has arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Infinity Basslink - 10 inch woofer with 10 inch passive radiator driven by internal 200 watt RMS amplifier. I received the Infinity Basslink powered subwoofer Friday. I ran the necessary wiring earlier in the week, so I was ready to hookup and go. I had run an 8-gage power wire from the battery selector switch with an inline 20-amp fuse. Also used an 8-gage ground wire to the engine block. I ran a 20-ft signal wire with RCA jacks and an 18-gage remote turn on wire, both from the CD player. The remote turn on was necessary because I wasn't using the speaker level inputs, which use the basslink's auto turn on feature. The 8-gage power wires were a little overkill. I could probably have used 10 or 12 gage just fine. The 20-ft signal wire was also longer than I wanted, but I needed at least 12 ft. The store had 9 or 20 with nothing in between. I'm still getting to know the unit, and for the initial settings I have every thing turned way up. The gain on the Basslink is set at max. I am using the player's bass control between 10 and 15 (max is 15). Even at that, I can barely get the servo light to flicker. The servo light indicates when the basslink is getting overdriven and the limiting circuit is activating. The instructions say that the light should flicker on the strong bass notes at high volume for correct adjustment. But when the volume is high enough to reach that point it starts getting painful to the ears :) Anyway it does add plenty of oomph to the bottom end. I know that there are separate woofer/amp systems out there that offer more performance, but this seems to be about the best all in one package available. I think this unit is being replace right now by the infinity Basslink II, a similier unit but with 10 inch square drivers and a 250 watt amp. I think that this unit provides about as much bass as is practical on my boat. The problem I'm running into is that when it's turned way up, every loose panel and hatch in the boat rattles! It gives a very pronounced "seat of the pants" feel to the music. The bass is very pronounced in the cabin. It sounds really good in the cockpit. But when you stand on the dock you don't really notice the bass, mostly just the midrange and highs. I have it standing at the foot of the aft berth for now, using the vertical brackets. It sounds more pronounced when it's in a corner, where it's designed to be. Subwoofer output is not directional so it can be heard just fine tucked around the corner like it is. You can see I don't keep the aft berth cushions on the boat, only bringing them along when I have the infrequent guests. I use the aft berth as a garage. I think what I'll end up doing is using the other included brackets for horizontal mounting, and just screw it to the head compartment bulkhead just about where it is now, but raised about 8 inches to clear the cushion. Anyway, I'm glad to have it in time for opening day. They put log booms out by midweek, and by Saturday morning there will be close to two hundred spectator boats tied up to watch the festivities. I'm going to anchor out on the parade route with another boat on Thursday, and watch all the numerous boats arriving. That's my favorite part of opening day, the opening day buildup. I get a kick out of watching a near constant stream of boats coming and going, complete with anchoring drills and rafting. But by Friday afternoon, I'm raising anchor, picking my wife up, and heading out to Puget Sound for the rest of the weekend. By Monday the sound system should be fully tested!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Geez, I'm glad I'm not your neighbor.....

...in the marina. There's nothing more irritating than having to involuntary share a marina's confined space with some inconsiderate audiofile no matter what his choice in music. pop-rap(esoecially rap)-jazz-classical-CW.... whatever you listen to I'm sure you will have a little consideration for your neighbors.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
They love me!

You forgot my favorite blues, and reggae. Actually the marina owners will yell at me if they can hear me, and I'm only about 100 ft from the office. "No loud music" is Rule #3, I think. I'm careful that none of the nearby boats are occupied when I'm rockin. Plus I don't put out the external speakers until I leave the dock, if at all. Believe it or not I enjoy the quiet times as well. Forgot to mention that the current draw with the subwoofer is not as bad as I feared it would be. Somewhere around 3-5 amps according to the Link 10. The specifications list 12 amps as maximum draw. Another reason to keep the volume down :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Headphones woulda been cheaper

:) Nice to hear you respect your neighbors (hopefully not BECAUSE of Rule #3, but because you, as a sailor, do care) Since marinas are now going the way of the do-do bird, we'll all be anchoring out all the time anyway, so there'll be more space between boats. Oops, anchoring out, unless you're in Florida.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Headphones

They don't quite rattle my butt and shake my gut like the Sub does.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Jon...

When you get a chance can you let me know what the current draw is at a decent listening volume. If you have a volt meter with current just insert it in the hot lead and read the draw. The easier way is to use a Link 10 but I forget if you have one. My stereo draws between 2 and 4 amps depending on volume so I'm curious to know how much the basslink 10 draws on top of that. Also a final pic would be great...

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Amps

I touched on this in the “They love me” post. The reading jumps around a little more than normal for the Link-10, I think because the music is not a rock steady draw (excuse the pun). I was showing about 2 amps with just the Alpine head unit. It’s higher powered than most at 60 watts per channel, 27 rms. With the Basslink it shows around 4 +- an amp. Like I said previously, the Basslink manual lists the current draw at 12 amps, and that’s about what I would guess from its 200-watt output. I don’t know if these are supposed to be peak values or average values. I guess peak judging by the Link 10 readings. It's fused at 20 amps. I’m still playing around with it, so I will probably have more confidence in my observations after this weekend, since I will be trying to annoy my neighbors at the opening day boat zoo (until I leave prematurely Friday afternoon). I won’t be the only boat causing a ruckus. There will be many power boats out-partying me tenfold. There will be a couple of boats from my dock joining me. I told them I’d throw some fenders out, but if they wanted quiet, they could take a chance near some other boats :)

Status
Not open for further replies.