Wood trim strip on side of cabin

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I don't have handrails on top just two 1/2"or 5/8th's trim strips on the side of the cabin, maybe 5 ft long...

Both are split between several of the screws and look like they are determined to continue until they just fall off.

Has anyone replaced these :confused:

I stopped by Lowe's and HD and all they had was oak. about a 1/4" think and 3/4" wide. I think it would work, but I'm worried about using oak. I guess with a couple coats of teak oil I could get 5+ years out of them rather than trying to source teak or mahogany...

You can just make it out in this picture, above the windows...

Starboard.jpg

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
AZ,

AHHHhhhhhhh, the beauty of the MK-II's, no exterior wood! Yes they have the personality of a Clorox bottle, but it's nice to hose it down and walk away. However, I did install a set of stainless steel handrails from a new C-32 on our MK-II. The matched the curve of the cabin top, and helped with the Clorox bottle look. Now, back to your issue, oak would be fine with some teak stain. I would pre-drill it and varnish all sides before installing it. That would help to keep it sealed and avoid the dreaded black mold stains. I must admit that I always thought there was just enough wood on the C-22 to give them a "smart" look, but not be too much work to keep the teak looking nice.

Don

Attachments

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I found a piece of oak trim that I was able to cut to look identical to the teak on my Catalina 25. I finished it with several coats of teak oil then installed it. I wipe on teak oil once a year, same as the other trim, and after two years it still looks good. Not sure how long it will last but I was not able to find teak long enough.

StanFM

Jun 26, 2012
S2 7.3 Lake Pleasant, AZ
AZGuy... before going with oak, at least check with an actual wood store like Woodworker's Source, etc. They can offer some excellent alternatives to teak. The sun out here is brutal on wood. But the teak on my C22 (nearly 40 years old!) looked like kindling wood ready for the fire-- but it cleaned up just great. Don's idea of stainless looks cool, too... but if you sail here in the summer, you'd better have gloves on before grabbing the metal.

Stan

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
that wood strip is called an eye brow...you can get mahogany long enough to replace your wood and treet it like you described in your post and it will look great...

regards

woody

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Doesn't Catalina Direct sell those teak handrails? Pretty pricey though. Also, check Ebay for teak lumber. Not too bad of prices if you look around.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Thanks Stan, I'll try Woodworker's Source before making a decision. It looks like there are a two near enough to me.

I'm no woodworker so they need to be close to the correct dimensions 1/4" or so thick and 5/8th's to 3'4" wide. I think I can handle putting a bullet shape on it, fore and aft, and using the existing ones as a template to drill the new holes.

Capt Don, that picture was surprising. never seen a newer C22, I guess there's tons less maintenance on that newer model as I my next project is to sand and re-oil all my external wood :cry:

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
AZGuy,

When you're looking around for teak, ask about plantation teak. It's not quite as beautiful as old growth teak but it's half the cost and looks and wears better than substituting other species, especially for uses that don't matter a lot. My local Windsor Plywood store carries it in a variety of rough lumber sizes at $16/bd. ft. as opposed to $33. I'll be using it for some projects on my C22 over at stingysailor.wordpress.com.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Doesn't Catalina Direct sell those teak handrails?
The website says they still do, but that the manufacturer is out of business so what they have on hand is the last of it until further notice. It could be gone already, and the website just isn't updated.

And yes, they're called eyebrows. :)

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Sorry to hear that. I guess I learned something today, I thought the eyebrow was the piece on top of the companionway mounted on the sliding hatch since it's curved like an eyebrow.

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
you can still buy cypress if you find a wood working store in your area. should last a lifetime and is about the same to work with as pine.

Anyway I like the stuff probably because I have a barn full of it.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Wow, $94 from Catalina Direct and oversized shipping costs to boot. :eek:

I bought two pieces of red oak from Home Depot today for $11. I'll make them work :D

My plan is to take the old ones off so I have a template, put a bull nose on the leading edge, drill and counter sink the screw holes and teak oil them up with several coats on all sides. Then a little marine adhesive on the back and new stainless steel screws and I should get many years out of them.

I'll take pics and post late this week

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Humans have been building ships and boats out of oak and similar woods for thousands of years. With a little care, there is no reason to mortgage the farm for exotics. Teak is nice wood, don't get me wrong, I horde it like gold. But in it's absence, to Lowes/H.D. whatever I go.

(Sapele is a decent wood if it's available. Not too pricy, looks good. Of course, so does a sanded pallet board)..

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Well, took the eyebrow strips off yesterday, they were worn and brittle beyond repair. The hardest part was that they were put on with some sort of silicon so I had to scrap the junk off and loosen it up with goo-be-gone. The end result is that's it's all clean now. Next step, make new ones...

20140101_123850_resized.jpg

20140101_135912_resized.jpg

20140101_135936_resized.jpg

20140101_140026_resized.jpg

Mar 2, 2007
Catalina 22 Anderson, SC
I have used white oak to replace some teak rails on a previous sailboat. I prefer to use Cetol to coat all exterior wood. It works well for me. Once I got all the rails coated in Cetol, I got lots of praise comments about my boat's beautiful "teak" ;). You might consider Cetol instead of oiling as an option to keep your brightwork looking bright. It is very easily applied, and the beauty is that you do not have to remove to overcoat like you would with a hard varnish product. Just a thought.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
I'm finding many people are taking the eyebrows off when they deteriorate beyond repair and just replace the factory screw and add a finished washer to the screw. I contacted Catalina Direct and they have 8 pairs of eyebrows left. $94, plus, $10 for packing and $35 shipping. Ouch.

Handiman_410_6_Stainless_Steel_Finishing_Washers-_12pack_.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
Make that seven, I just broke down and ordered a set.

My shipping was a little lower at $10.95, but they still set me back $115 and change altogether. I'd definitely have gone with those screws and finish washers if the boat weren't brand new to me.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Cool, I wonder why their shipping quote was so high to me...Is CD in your area..??

The ones I made out of red oak came out great, I need to stain them a teak color and install them. The oak strips cost $11, counter sink bit was $4, plus cost of stain and I'll be done :D

Now to order a new Mainsail :confused:

Sep 30, 2013
I seem to recall that CD has a parts department here in Florida, although I can't seem to find it with a quick search.

That's awesome your oak ones came out well! I thought you had given up on the concept, which was one reason I just ordered the teak ones.

Post pics when they're done!!