Wood care basics for 2004 Hunter 33 Interior

richot

May 13, 2017
Hunter 33 Bellingham WA
Hello I'm looking to touch up some of the wood interior on our 2004 Hunter 33. I've read the manual pages and googled but I still have a few questions.

Questions.
1. Is the wood on the walls and galley rails Teak or something else like Cherry? (I'm new to this type of work). Will attach photos.

2. For places where the finish has rubbed off (i.e. the galley rails, wall corners), it sounds like I need to carefully / properly sand > apply Mohawk Spray Sealer > sand > apply Mohawk Precatalized Satin Lacquer, Ultra Flow Clear. Is that correct?

3. Would a similar product be ok or will the difference likely be noticeable?

Thanks! Rich

I was unable to find an FAQ with this info in it, if there is one I'd love to hear about it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Yes it is teak. I've had the same type of wear, but used teak oil on ours and has been fine.

richot

May 13, 2017
Hunter 33 Bellingham WA
Ok thanks. So you simply sand a bit then apply something like Seafin teak oil? It sounds like the finish will match close enough with the existing finish (Mohawk clear / satin lacquer)? For example in that corner where it's worn down?
Thanks, Rich

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I uses Restor-A-Finish (Cherry) and follow up with Feed-N-Wax.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have found that just using Daly's Teak oil blends on to any worn or damaged wood,try just using the teak oil first and I have never done any sanding.
Nick

Jul 11, 2016
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
We used a cleaner/brightener for our inside. If you do the entire interior it will take you all day. It's a process of cleaning the oiling. You end up rubbing every surface down about 4 times but it will make it look almost new. Unless you have really bad wear or gouges you shouldn't need to sand. A little cleaner/brightener and some teak oil will work well. Amazon has a kit for $50.00 that would last you a couple uses here http://amzn.to/2pOLi4S Really any cleaner or oil will work well.