With a Twist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe

Sail Trim articles frequently talk about trimming the Main to add or remove twist. How can I (or can't I) add twist to spill wind with the trim controls that come on the Stock 170? Suggestions for not-so-elaborate aftermarket accessories if needed? Thx, Joe

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Sail twist on the 170

Hi Joe, Good question about twist. Since I can't talk tecnnically about sail twist, I'll spout out my simpleton's version: One of the major controls on the 170 (that I know of) for controlling twist is the boom vang. Ease the vang and the sail's surface will present more twist. Tighten in the vang and the mainsail shouldn't twist as much. By the way, in larger boats, I think the relationship between midboom (on the 170) or rearboom sheeting plays a roll in twist too--- I think midboom sheeting also acts somewhat as a "super vang", thus limiting the ultimate amount of twist a skipper can produce???? **Now I'll stand back and let the serious captains take a crack at this! In that same direction, have a look at the attached picture of my 170s retro-fitted rearboom sheeting. I've only sailed with the new set up twice, and haven't gauged its effect on my sail's twist, but a pro might have something to offer on what effect rear or midboom sheeting can have on twist. Full sails, Mike G. Alachua, FL

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Sail twist and midboom sheeting

Joe, Sorry, the rearboom sheeting photo didn't get attached. But here's the link to the photo, or just go to Photos for the 170 on this website. Mike http://www.sailboatowners.com/album/display.tpl?fno=0&id=73216838290&bts=T

J

Joe

You've Been Buzy!

Thanks Mike...Quite the setup/bet it works great! For now I'll try working with the Vang. Have only used Vang Broad Reaching & Running. Also looking forward to input from others too. Thx, Joe

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Vang/Happy sailing, Joe

Joe, Thanks. The rearboom sheeting is fun. Let's you pull the boom that much closer to centerline. If you notice, midboom sheeting voids the possibility of pulling the sail 'all the way' in. Also the added mainsheet length along the boom increases the purchase, making the action lighter in a heavy breeze. Less strain on the hands when hauling the sheet in! Yeah, this group's got alot of good things to contribute. Like you I'm just sitting back, looking forward to fine input from others. Best, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.