Wiring issues.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@dnimigon Justin makes a good point. Fixing the boat is not sailing the boat.
That said if you are still wanting to clean up what most call the birds nest, I suggest:
  1. Review the many rewire projects on the Catalina 30 website.
  2. Review the helpful posts of Maine Sail and Stu Jackson on this site.
  3. Go to MaineSails web site https://marinehowto.com/. Review the articles there.
  4. Take pictures of your connections.
  5. Get a Cat30 wiring diagram. Draw a diagram of your wiring tracing each wire from the battery to the load (ie instrument ) and back to ground. Record the lengths of the wire runs and the power requirements. You need this info to spec the wire sizes needed for your system. You need to fully understand what you have before you start to change it.
  6. If this seems like work that is because it is work. If you are not ready for it you will be best served to hire a marine electrician to do the job.
  7. Armed with the diagram of your systems and the materials needed you are ready to begin the project. Here is where it gets tedious. There are no shortcuts.
Best of luck my friend. You can do it. Do it once do it right.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@dnimigon
Justin and jssailem give good advice. The problem is when something does break it could be a nightmare to find and fix.
As jsssailem said, especially about reading the articles at the marinehowto.com site. MS goes into a lot of detail but his advice on making good connections is invaluable. He has articles on marking wires, making good crimp connections and what tools to buy, battery cable connections, etc.

Then read through his forum "Musings with Maine Sail" here on sailboatowners.com You find a lot of good ideas by reading every thread that looks like it has to do with electrical.

I don't blame you for wanting to neaten up the wiring, especially when I see wire nuts being used.
If you want a new panel check out www.blueseasystems.com. Another panel maker is Paneltronics. Blue Sea is pricey but they make nice stuff.

I just acquired a 93 C30 and here is what I am doing or going to do on my boat.
First thing I did before doing any work in the panel is identify any and all AC 110 wiring.
You need to fully understand the AC wiring as a live 110v wire may be the same color as a 12v ground. Not knowing the difference can get you killed.
If this is beyond your capability, then stop and get someone who knows how to do it.
I suspect the breakers on the left of the panel are your 110v service breakers.
You need to cover them with a protective cover of some sort before you start so there is no chance that you plug into shore power and accidentally lean on one of those live wires while working on the panel.
I got mine from Catalina Direct. Les from these forums suggested an upside down Tupperware container. Much cheaper.

I will be replacing the panel in the future so I plan on cleaning things up a bit by up by very carefully identifying the wires with numbers and making a list of all 12v devices on the boat.
I'll be getting a pack of number tags for wiring, available from any hardware or big box home store like Lowes or Home Depot. Also got a bag of 6" zip ties. I identify each wire by what switch it is attached to. Tag it with a number and make a list. Then try to bundle wires together based on use using the zip ties. When I come to a wire nut or some other non marine connection I'll use heat shrink butt connectors of the appropriate size to replace the wire nut.
When I come to wires not connected or running off somewhere I can't trace, I'll mark them as such so I can follow up on them at a later time. Maybe bundle them together as well. Old boats have a lot of abandoned wiring.

Identifying wires, making neat bundles and eliminating bad connections will be done on non sailing days. When I'm ready for a new panel I will be far ahead of the game. I know I will go with a Blue Sea panel.

Of course I have many other projects of higher priority but for those days I can't move forward on those other projects or go sailing I'll work on identifying the panel wiring. Then some winter I will change out the panel.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I notice a few things right away
The most important, is replace the wire nuts with butt connectors, wire nuts have no place on a boat and a fire hazard.

I see you’ve started a color chart with color to function ( ie Catalina used blue for cabin lights) this is good, but PO’s have been known to use what ever is handy and not always correct. You list green for ground. On a boat green is AC ground, black and yellow are Battery negative (DC ground) with red being +12VDC.

AC connections all need to be enclosed in a covered “box”. They can’t go to open terminal strips, for panels the box is a cover that gets screwed to the AC side of the panel. These covers can be expensive and a pain when servicing the AC - always replace then. If yours is missing a cheap Tupperware of the right size works well

@Ward H mentions Blue Sea panels. I have one and love it, but I’m very glad the P.O. paid for it and not me!! It’s amazing how fast you can fill up all available circuits.

Good luck
Mahalo

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I had a similar issue with a rat's nest of wiring behind the breaker panel. I suggest that you consider installing a group of terminal strips behind the panel sufficient to terminate all of the outgoing wires. You have a few there already but they need to be better organized. From the terminal strips you then install jumpers to the breakers. All of the must be done in a neat and workmanlike manner. As suggested above you must separate and cover all 120V wiring. My terminal strip organization is shown here.
P4180022.JPG