wiring a GPS antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie Allen

I just purchase a chartplotter GPS and mounted the unit on the port side of the companion way. (It swings out on an arm to be viewed from the cockpit and then swings back inside and out of the way.) Now I need to mount and wire the antenna. My plan is to mount it on a stanchion on the port side and I want to go up through the deck, into the bottom of the stanchion, up through it and out near the top. It is easy to access the bottom of the deck under the stanchion because it is right over the cupboard behind the stove, and I got a mounting bracker that fits nicely on the support arm of the stanchion. So, I think it is a good plan and I think I have seen this done before. However, I started to do it and wore out both batteries of my portable drill without substantially denting the top section of the stanchion that I was trying to pierce. This made me think, is what I am doing sensible? Do people really drill through the stainless steel? I expect that there the deck plate at the base of the stanchion is solid (not hollow where the tube joins it). That hole promises to be even more challenging that the first as I expect the steel is thicker. Question: Does my plan seem sensible? Are there other approaches that people have used? Do you need a special bit to get through the steel? Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, Charlie

G

Greg

Here's an idea...

I haven't tried this, or even thought a whole lot about it, but what about replacing the stanchion with one designed for venting the holding tank? It's got a nice big hole in the bottom. An other idea would be routing the cable back to where the stern running light already goes up through the stern pulpit. Never tried either, but seems reasonable.

C

Chris Hyland

GPS Antenna

Charlie, I have a 2001 C-36 and the GPS antenna is mounted on the stern rail. Starboard of the walkthrough opening. The wires are run through the rail. The Chartplotter/Radar unit is at the helm, with a second station below at the nav center. Raytheon had a recall on the Raystar 120 WAAS antenna's. They kept loosing the fix. I had one replaced and I think the new one is bad too... Hope this all helps... Regards, Chris Hyland "Beau Jouet" 2001 C-36 Hull #1971

P

Pete SMith

GPs

About 3 weeks ago I installed the antenna wire through the stern rail on my 2001, C-34, 1570. Stainless is a tough metal. I used an AC powered drill and started with a new, high quality 1/8 inch drill bit, then a larger bit. It was not easy. The wire from the GPS end was fed through the pedistal with the ends spliced in the stern cabin. It works and looks alot better than the temporary mess that I had. Pete

C

Charlie Allen

Question for Pete

Pete: It sounds like you cut your antenna wire and then spliced it back together. This would make life a lot easier as the end of the antenna that plugs into the GPS is quite large and hard to fish through various holes and stanchions. I had been reluctant to cut it because I have no idea what the inside looks like. Are there many individual wires that need to be properly reconnected or just one big strand? If it is reasonably easy to do without degrading the reception, that is what I will do. By the way, I have now concluded that mounting on the stern is much better than my previous plan. There is already a small hole for the stern light wiring. If I can cut the antenna wire and fish it down through the stanchion, the rest will be easy. Thanks for you input. Regards, Charlie

P

Pete SMith

GPS Antenna Wire

Charlie, Yes, I cut the wire. As I recall there are only four color coded wires to splice back together. I too considered the running light opening but decided that it was too small for two wires. The biggest problem that I had was contending with the mess of rebeding the various railings etc; adhesives and I are not a good mix. I used a mechanical splice; you'll need the smallest ones available. Since you're in salt water you may want to consider applying a heat shrink cover to each splice. I did not do that and have no problems thus far. A few years from now may be a different story and I may have to resplice and seal the wires. If you have any other questions and want a more prompt reply email me at smithpe@madbbs.com.

C

Chuck

Proper Drill bit

You need a cobolt drill bit to get through the stainless, found at most hardware stores. drill slow and use a little oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.