winterizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john Kivel

Hi all, I read the recent posts on winter covers and I wonder if anyone leaves their boat uncovered for the winter???? We had a very mild November this year, and I kept hoping for one more sail, but work and fall yard projects did not allow. Then December hit and now we have a foot of snow. Anyway I got most of my fall projects done, but I didn't get the cover on my boat. The boat is a fair hall down some probably slippery roads and the only way to get the mast back in the garage is to bring the boat here and then take it back there. It would be possible to do it this year, but I wonder if it is necessary. John

Feb 7, 2005
Hunter 23 Mentor, Ohio
I cover mine, but

there are several boats, power and sail, at our marina that do not cover up. I'm one of the guys with a cheap blue plastic tarp that usually lasts one season and never more than 3. In the past, I've used a combination of rope ties and bungee cords. Ususally, the tarp is still basically covering the boat by Spring. This year, having no bungees handy, I carefully made nice ties through each grommet. After a week of high winds and well before heavy snow set in, the grommets were mostly ripped out of the tarp, and the tarp was only holding on at the loosest ties. I suspect not having the bungees to allow flex did me in. Anyway, I'm always amazed how much water I find in tarp depressions and also how well this cheap solution keeps the boat clean and dry underneath the pools it creates. Couldn't you just go cheap, like me, without hauling the boat back home?

Feb 7, 2005
Hunter 23 Mentor, Ohio
I cover mine, but

there are several boats, power and sail, at our marina that do not cover up. I'm one of the guys with a cheap blue plastic tarp that usually lasts one season and never more than 3. In the past, I've used a combination of rope ties and bungee cords. Ususally, the tarp is still basically covering the boat by Spring. This year, having no bungees handy, I carefully made nice ties through each grommet. After a week of high winds and well before heavy snow set in, the grommets were mostly ripped out of the tarp, and the tarp was only holding on at the loosest ties. I suspect not having the bungees to allow flex did me in. Anyway, I'm always amazed how much water I find in tarp depressions and also how well this cheap solution keeps the boat clean and dry underneath the pools it creates. Couldn't you just go cheap, like me, without hauling the boat back home?

Briann

May 23, 2004
- - Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Cover up!

Unless you live in an area which is not subject to a freeze-thaw cycle, you should cover your boat. The reason your tarp is shredded is because of the wind. Eliminate that flapping around by installing your tarp, tie it down and then cover the boat with fishnet, tie it down and no more flapping. Make sure that you allow the boat to have some air circulating throughout as this will eliminate or certainly help to reduce mold. I am always concerned that water freezes, expands those little stress fractures, thaws and then freeezes again and the little cracks are now larger, so cover up in Michigan. Good luck.

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
cover up

John - I left my boat up northern Michigan (Black Lake area) this winter. I covered it up with a tarp, tied down with rope. I hope to get up there one of these days to see how it is holding up with all the snow we have had in Mich so far this year (also to see if the tarp is still intact, Mike, I hadn't thought of the grommets ripping out). I have also thought of just leaving it out exposed to the elements over the winter, but after reading some of the responses here I think I will stick with tarping it. Next year, I may make up a truss-like arrangement out of PVC to support the tarp. Only 5 months to go until we can get back in the water...

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Tarp it - frame if possible

I agree with the others here - tarp will help ,and should mean less work in the spring cleaning out the inside from all the leaves and debris that will have found their way in. Keep it loose enough at front and back to allow plenty of circulation. And if anyone has made a simple frame, would love to know how and see photos. I have to run out every time it snows or rains heavily to check if puddling is happening, then knocking the snow and water off it and onto my feet! Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.