Winterizing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keith K.

I am preparing to put my C22 into storage for the winter. What should I do as far as winterizing the boat to guard against freeze expansion, pest infestation etc? I would be very sad if I put the boat on the water in the spring and it sank to the bottom. :( Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Keith K. Vesta

B

Brad Williams

It's not likely to sink in the spring.

It should be pretty easy since all wet parts of the boat -- head (porta pottie) and galley sink can be pretty much isolated. Drain and clean them both and leave them on the boat. Pump the sink dry. I used to take in my cushions for the winter... I was afraid of critters making nests. But after my boats kept getting bigger and bigger, I gave that up 'cause the cushions take up too much room. Never had anything bad happen. Pretty much everything but foodstuff stays on the boat.. I do put a piece of tape over some of the through hulls to keep a mouse out (probably overkill)....BUT DON'T FORGET that tape in the spring. As an aside, I've found that the black landscaping plastic tarps work well to cover and protect the boat. It's cheap and holds up as well as or better than expensive tarps. Good luck, Brad

B

Bob Finley

Winterizing

a lot depends on whether it will be in covered storage or un-covered. Un-covered, you have to be concerned with cockpit drains and getting the rain/snow melt out of the cockpit. Remember the kicker motor and drain the water out of the foot and water pump. Some mouse bait in the cabin would help, but you may have smelly dead ones next spring. Also, dump the left over fuel from the motor and tank to start over with fresh stuff next year. If there are batteries, you might want to bring them in and put them on a trickle charger or battery saver system that hits them for a few minutes each day. I have a timer that comes on for an hour per day and I have lawn mower battery, boat battery and airplane battery all in parallel with it. It is just a little reminder that you still love them. Then, I head South to Padre Island for the winter. Bob

K

Keith K.

Thanks...

It will be tucked away in a nice cozy shed. I think I will put the motor in my basement. Thanks for all the help! Keith K. Vesta

Status
Not open for further replies.