Winterizing A Diesel Engine On The Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
There's been lots of discussion lately about how to do this. While winterizing my engine last week I happened to have my camera in my pocket and made an unplanned impromptu video. Sometimes video is better than pics or words to describe things.

Disclaimer: I am not a very good videographer!!

Hope this helps..

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Looks like pretty heavy duty winterizing .................. granted, you won't have any surrounding water to keep you warm(er) on the hard.

What are your cold spells like over there ?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Pretty neat! I like the extended pre-rinse. However my yard doesn't allow engines to be run while on stands. Domino Effect I suppose...

Feb 6, 1998
Looks like pretty heavy duty winterizing .................. granted, you won't have any surrounding water to keep you warm(er) on the hard.

What are your cold spells like over there ?
Well the ocean often freezes solid out to the islands in front of the house.... I think the coldest I have recorded was -29F but below 0F is not too uncommon...

Feb 6, 1998
Pretty neat! I like the extended pre-rinse. However my yard doesn't allow engines to be run while on stands. Domino Effect I suppose...

The pre-rinse is simply to run the engine long enough to burn off any start up condensation. I don't like to short run our diesel and load her up with the engine driven refrigeration and some alt load when doing this..

I find it odd that a yard would not allow engines run on the hard. Pretty standard fair up this way. Of course you can do the same process when it is still in the water but I kept my boat in late enough that they had shut the dock hoses off to prevent freezing. So, I had to do it at home on the hard..

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
There was a cracker in your 5 gallon bucket while you were sucking fresh water through. What kind of cracker do you use?
;-)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I Guess at that Point ..........................

Well the ocean often freezes solid out to the islands in front of the house.... I think the coldest I have recorded was -29F but below 0F is not too uncommon...
............. the ocean doesn't have too much of a warming effect on the hull.

Feb 6, 1998
There was a cracker in your 5 gallon bucket while you were sucking fresh water through. What kind of cracker do you use?
;-)
It was a plastic foot from the clamps... Luckily they don't sink.... Cheap Chinese clamps...:cussing: If I had thought of making this video, before I was already mid winterizing, I may have removed the floating clamp foot..;);)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
So you are one the hard and you put anti in the raw water side?????
You do know that there are stopcocks at key locations so you can just drain the seawater from the system riight?
I think it took me 5 minutes to turn the three stopcocks and drain the strainer with a rag.
You should exercise the stopcocks to keep them from leaking in any case.
Also, know your engine as there are also stopcocks for the engine antifreeze.

Feb 6, 1998
So you are one the hard and you put anti in the raw water side?????
You do know that there are stopcocks at key locations so you can just drain the seawater from the system riight?
I think it took me 5 minutes to turn the three stopcocks and drain the strainer with a rag.
You should exercise the stopcocks to keep them from leaking in any case.
Also, know your engine as there are also stopcocks for the engine antifreeze.
Bill,

I'm glad you think you know my engine better than I do..:confused: There are no stopcocks on my engines raw water circuit, none. The only one is the one I installed on the strainer which I do drain even after sucking in the antifreeze. There are also low spots on these HX's that will not fully drain even with the end caps off. To remove the HX end caps for draining it would require an additional cost of 4 new gaskets. The bottom tube/tubes can still have water in them, even when drained as much as you can and the tubes are very, very thin and easily prone to freeze splitting. Over the years I have had the pleasure to replace a few of these HX's that have frozen and leaked even after being "drained". Also been on the recieving end of a few "frozen" drained RW cooled engines that were "fully drained" according to the owners.. Replacing a freeze plug on and in-place engine is a big $$$$ job as the engine very often has to be removed to get at and replace the spit freeze plugs. A few jugs of AF is a LOT less money...

Some of the Universal/Westerbeke HX's also only have one end cap which does not allow full water evacuation. I have one that split internally during winter layup sitting in my shop.

There is good history up here in the great frozen North as to why this type of engine winterization is standard protocol. SOME engines can effectively be drained but many can not.

To properly drain an impeller pump requires removal of the cover plate, which again, requires a new gasket, at the least. I have seen leaking shaft seals displaced and deformed by ice in the pumps. I do suggest to most customers to remove the impeller for winter but many don't want to incur the added expense.

Many owners do not want to pay for all this extra labor, parts and time so running antifreeze through the RW loop is a pretty standard & simple protocol..

Also this boat has a SeaFrost engine driven refrigeration system with a large HX in the RW circuit. It is a royal PITA, and rather time consuming, to drain it. For me to drain my system would take about 3-4X as long, would entail added parts expense, and, time is money, a lot more than the $16.95 in antifreeze I used and the 5-10 minutes it too to hook it all up and suck it in.....

What works on your engine may not work on ALL engines..

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
OK MS did not mean it as a criticism just an observation.
I've owned 3 Yanmar marine engines over the years and seen a few more and they all had stopcocks. Seems like a sound engineering design to have a way to drain the system without taking it appart.
Clearly yours is different as are others no doubt.
It is also impressively clean.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
His engine is a Westerbeke, Bill. I recently started working with a friend who has a Universal and was amazed to find that the drains and stuff aren't as well thought out as the marinized Yanmars. We don't bother draining 'em down here, but when ya change coolant and stuff, it helps to have well located and easily functioning petcocks ..as you are used to..

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I wonder how long my yard runs the engine to get rid of condensation? How about FW through the HX? Endcaps off? Maybe I don't want to know.

Jun 7, 2007
Hunter 320 Williamsburg
MaineSail, you rock!

I don't know why everyone is complaining. This is ingenious, and well produced. Thanks.

Feb 6, 1998
Winterizing on the hard isn't very hard. What is hard is un-winterizing....;)
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing:

What the heck caused that?????? That is a TON of water and a lot more than I would expect from normal rain fall....

Jeff

Sep 29, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Carlyle Lake in Central Illinois
I have installed a "T" fitting just above each of my inlet thru-hulls. Each "T" has valve attached to it. See my photo. This simplifies winterizing a great deal. I have an 18" piece of hose with a male threaded fitting on the end. I screw it into the "T'd" valve of the ciruit to be winterized and since all circuits are the same one piece of hose is all I need. This picture shows the back of the engine compartment and the upper portion of the thru-hull, "T'd" valve and strainer basket to the right To winterize I attach the hose to the "T'd" valve and dip the other end into a bucket of antifreeze. I open the main thru-hull (if boats in the water) and start the motor. Once it's warm I open the "T'd" valve and close the main thru-hull. The bucket drains and I kill the engine. No hoses to pull off each year. It's worked great for many many years. All the other systems aboard are approached the same way. I do make it a point to check these for signs of wear or cracking periodically.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.