Wintering trailered Catalina 22

Oct 31, 2017
Catalina 22 8728 Trailered
Hi,
I'm a new C22 owner and new sailor and live in Northern California. I'm planning minor tarping over the winter, but nothing major since we don't freeze that much.

Does it make sense to remove the halyards to prevent weathering? I was thinking I could just sheet bend some clothesline and leave it installed as pull lines for reinstallation.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
You can leave them or remove them. The larger issue is to keep water off the decks where it can get under the fittings, freeze, and then thaw. It's the freeze thaw you want to worry about. There is much online on this topic from chip ford the catalina 22 assiociation and here on the catalina 22 forum.

I live where it's much colder and I leave my halyards but remove all stays, spreaders, etc then lift the mast 3 feet before bracing it on 2x4s. From there I tie it all down, use PVC bracing to make an under structure and cover the whole rig in a 30x20 tarp from harbor freight. We get feet upon feet of snow and the higher mast gives enough pitch for it to slide off the boat.

This is all overkill for you though. I would just get a big tarp, strip the cables, and call it good. But whatever you do don't forget the dryer sheets in the cabin etc to keep the rodents out.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Just my opinion, but the only time I remove my standing or running rigging is when I go to replace it.

Don

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
Leave them on, or you will create a lot more work in the spring when you want to quickly get the boat in the water. If the running rigging needs serious cleaning, then take them home.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hey One Life!
I live in Sacramento, which is considered northern Cali, but to me its more central Cali. I just jeep a tarp over my boat during the winter to keep the rain off. As mentioned earlier, a 20x30 tarp from Harbor Freight is perfect. It covers the entire boat.

If you live around Sacramento, I would encourage you to check out the Catalina 22 club, Fleet 4 (catalina22fleet4.org). Its a fun group of sailors and we go on trips all over the state and beyond. We've also just started a Facebook group (Catalina Fleet 4 Sacramento) in order to better communicate between members and others interested in getting out on the water. Check them both out if you get a chance.

Hope to see you out on the water!
Kevin Clancy

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Use UV-resistant tarps. The blue tarps are worse than nothing. They deteriorate, fail, and the grommets can bang repeatedly against your boat or, worse, your neighbor's boat. Blue tarps are not allowed in the marina where I keep my boat.

Oct 31, 2017
Catalina 22 8728 Trailered
Hi Kevin,
As a matter of fact I am in Sacramento County. Bought her in July, had to do some work first but have been out on Folsom twice now - one very light wind and one heavy day. Yahooooo! Will do the big tarp idea, thanks everyone for that.

I do plan to contact the Catalina group, just had other things to spend money and time on to get her into the water this year. (Previous owner exaggerated a few things :liar: who knew?)

Renaming ceremony next spring too!

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
There might be a group of us sailing on Folsom Lake over the Thanksgiving weekend. Those members lucky enough to have slips on the lake need to have their boats off the lake by December 1. Come join us and meet some of the members. I'll send you a note later. Kevin

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hey OneLife - looks like folks are planning on sailing both Friday at Saturday. We meet at 10 am at the Brown's Ravine ramp. I'll be there early to set up my boat. I hope to meet you. I sent you a pm with my contact info. Kevin