winter storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phlocker

how do you all store your 146. Tarp, shrink-wrap? any need to do anything? Thanks

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Not a 146 but. . . .

a similar daysailer, a Highlander. I only cover the cockpit, from the mast step back. But I believe your boat is open to the bow. I would use one of those silver covers, 15' x ??, and cover her stem to stern. I also cover the open end of the mast to keep birds and others from nesting. Everything else is inside, the garage and the basement.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Tarp, or - anyone turn 'er upside down??

Wow - another 146 owner!! I've got mine on the trailer under a large tarp - I can send a picture if you like. It completely covers the mast, which I have up high at the bow end. I cut the spout off a 2liter soda bottle and put that over the end of the mast to protect it. I bungee it in place under the hull, but leave things open enough so there is plenty of air circulation. I check it always after rain or snow to make sure there is none accumulating on the tarp, as water or snow weighing down the tarp is very bad - the weight causes it to seep through the tarp into the boat, and puts undo strain on the mast. I used dock lines to criss cross a sort of web from mast to gunwales in attempt to keep any initial snow accumulation from getting started. Not sure if this will be enough - if not will have to build a light frame. Our first snow showed that it tended to stick to the tarp. (Maybe spraying the tarp with some silicon spray or ArmorAll to make it more slippery?? I also make sure to have the bow tilted up enough to ensure that any water that does get in will drain out. This meant having to jack up the front wheel on the trailer and place it on a 4" cinder block. Hunter warns against using dark colored tarps to cover these boats, but as mine is under lots of trees, I think it will be alright. No direct sunlight to heat things up too much. As Ed does, all other components (boom, tiller/rudder, lines, sails) go in the basement. I want as little gear as possible outside for our little furry winter creatures to burrow into or snack on. Good luck - you might have a nice warm day today to pack her away - supposed to be over 60 here in CT! BTW - shrink wrap? Can't see it - mostly cause it will wind up in the landfill next year. Doing nothing could be very viable - however, leaves will accumulate, and might stain the hull. One thing I've not thought of - she's light enough to turn upside down on the trailer...then you need nothing at all! Anyone done that??

Status
Not open for further replies.