Winter Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

Hate to bring this subject up in early August, but unfortunately Winter will come too soon like it does every year. So, this being the first year I've had my boat, I had some questions about winter storage that I'm hoping some other northern boaters can help with- 1. Mast up or mast down? (mast is keel-stepped) 2. If mast down, is shrink wrapping a good idea? 3. If not shrink wrapping, what's the best way to cover? 4. How good is the yard labor - should I be there when the boat is hauled (I'm thinking of Skipper Bud's at Northpoint)? 5. Any other good storage yards near Waukegan (Larsen is full with a 4 to 5 year waiting list!)? Thanks for any help.

B

bob

mast up

While it is generally contended that it is a good idea to take the mast down every couple of years to check on things up top, I do not take my mast down. (keel stepped Catalina 34). Something always seems to break or get twisted, etc. You also need to have the rigging tuned. Someone forgets to put in a cotter pin or tape areas with jagged edges that could catch and rip a sail. I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it. As for covering the boat, you don't need to take the mast down to have it shrink wrapped. I see it done all the time (an able guy knows how to go right around the shrouds). I use poly tarps over a frame built out of electrical conduit poles. You can put it together with fittings, cut it easily with a pipe cutter and take it apart, store it, and use it again the next year. You will probably need a pipe bender for "A" sections. Cutting the tarps around the shrouds and taping them is a pain. However tarps are a lot cheaper and you can throw them away after a 2nd year. I don't watch my boat come out. I would have to stay several days waiting until they decide to do it! I use a good yard and have confidence it their abilities. I have no idea about anything in your area but if a yard has a good reputation by word of mouth it's likely that they will do ok by you too.

B

Brad Williams

Conversely....

If you drop the mast you can cover the halyards -- should double their life as they are only sitting and rotting in the sun for only half the year. And, storing the mast resting along the the pushpit/pullpits gives you a tent support for those tarps. I'm constantly amazed to see how many folks simply use the canvas for winter protection....let their dodgers remain up, etc. Brad

H

Hans

I have stored my 1996 MKII with the mast up on land and shrink wrapped the boat. When you shring wrap do not wrap around the platform section of your boat, this could cause blistering. This year I am storing the boat in the water and shrinkwrap. When you shrinkwrap make sure there is a air flow.

R

R. Scott

Steve: Here is what I do in New Buffalo Mi: Attend haul out- comment from service yard workers "gee, you care about your boat, not many ownersw seem to". Store with mast up, covered with custom made cover supported with wood and PVC piping bent over and cable tied to life lines. Top life line removed and replaced with 1.5" PVC pipe to take load from cover. Tension on cover is by sand bags. Biggest problem will be wind and snow, usually need one trip to yard to knock off accumulation during winter ( before leaving for Florida). It can be a lot of work, but once you develop a system it goes fast. Enjoy the warm weather, Scottfree

Status
Not open for further replies.