Winter storage on the trailer

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
Hello, I hauled my boat out yesterday for the long Vermont winter * sniff *. I have the swing keep model and store on it on the original Load-Rite trailer in my yard. The previous owner told me that I shouldn't store it long-term on the trailer without putting the boat on blocks because it was bad for the trailer suspension or something like that. Any truth to this?

Thanks

dsims

Sep 22, 2017
Sirius 21 Clear Lake
Can't speak for Catalina's, but our Sirius 21 (competitor to the Catalina) has lived on its trailer for 37 years. It is on its second trailer, only because the original galvanized trailer eventually succumbed to the effects of routine salt water dunkings.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I wouldn't worry about it much, unless I knew in advance I wasn't moving it for a few years. If the tires are going to be in a lot of continuous sun, you could cover them from the UV rays if you wanted maximum life.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
It's not so much the suspension as it is the tyres... the tyres deteriorate and get flat spots if standing for ages in the same place.

We have a unique issue in South Africa... if it can be moved it can be stolen... therefore we put trailers up on blocks and remove the wheels for storing in the garage. Solves both issues! Actually if it doesn't move they can still somehow steal it! Especially if there is metal scrap value or secondhand tyre value to be had...

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Total agreement that PM includes the trailer. To this end, if you don't have tires you can't move it in the spring. Personally I'd remove the wheels and block the frame. If you have never changed a trailer flat on the side of the road, Murphy's law states that the lug nuts that you've paid little or no attention to before will now have your rapt(knuckles) attention.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I tire of replacing tyres, and good ones are expensive....good point on the lug nuts/knuckles too.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I invested in a cordless impact wrench earlier this year. It cost less than I expected, and it makes removing lug nuts easier than twisting the cap off a water bottle. :thumbup:

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
+1 on the cordless impact wrench. I don't have one but in my milk crate of emergency stuff there is a cordless drill with a lug nut socket on it. It won't break them free but makes spinning them on and off a lot easier than with a lug wrench, especially if you dab a little anti seize on the threads each time you take them off/on.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
+1 on the cordless impact wrench. I don't have one but in my milk crate of emergency stuff there is a cordless drill with a lug nut socket on it. It won't break them free but makes spinning them on and off a lot easier than with a lug wrench, especially if you dab a little anti seize on the threads each time you take them off/on.
Speaking as mechanic, lug nuts are to be installed DRY. Ask any vehicle service manual. Anti seize can make you lose lugs.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Speaker as a vehicle owner I hate impact wrenches being used on lug nuts! I have had one case cross threaded already, one case where the hubs thread was stripped out and one case where the lug was sheared right off!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Speaking as mechanic, lug nuts are to be installed DRY. Ask any vehicle service manual. Anti seize can make you lose lugs.
Good point. I just wire brush the threads when they get yucky.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Speaker as a vehicle owner I hate impact wrenches being used on lug nuts! I have had one case cross threaded already, one case where the hubs thread was stripped out and one case where the lug was sheared right off!
I never use any tools on bolts or nuts until I am certain they are hand threading properly first. If they don't, you are doing it wrong.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Especially the guys at tire shops. Over torquing of lug nuts can lead to warped brake rotors.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
I never use any tools on bolts or nuts until I am certain they are hand threading properly first. If they don't, you are doing it wrong.
Unfortunately labour at wheel fitment centers is not that concerned or interested with stuff that they don't own... nuff sed!

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Unfortunately labour at wheel fitment centers is not that concerned or interested with stuff that they don't own... nuff sed!
Truth, I found a tire store here where the manager goes through with a torque wrench to check

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I have heard that from more than one person, but I lube all my trailer lugs with grease anyway. I have had several rusted studs break off when I was trying to change a flat on the side of the road. I have never had a greased lug nut come off of any vehicle or trailer that I own. I have been greasing them all for more than 20 years.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Agreed. This is why I remove my hubcaps before taking my car in to get new tires. I don't want to get the car back with scratches in the hub caps....again.

Last edited: