Winter storage Oil change. Before storage or in spring?

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Mine is a 1 gallon unit that's pretty small, and has a nice soft rubber hose.
You may want to get a longer hose from Pela (around $15). I found that the standard one does not let you suck up all the oil from the engine.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Binnacle, of course, being another horrible website, you unnerstand... It's also directly connected to your credit card.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I cannot remember a case where motor damage could be explained by a failure to change oil in the fall - or for that matter anytime the motor sat idle for a good long time.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, the failure mode is breakdown of the insulation in the alternator windings if you have an oil-bath alternator, which is common on motorcycles. I've never had a four-stroke boat engine (like OP's), so I don't know if oil-bath alternators are typical for them, or not. It's definitely worth looking into, though, if you have a four stroke.

Etching of the crankshaft journals due to acidic oil can also be observed on older engines that have been allowed to sit with dirty oil in them. I do not know of a specific example of a failure of the entire engine due to this. But I also don't considered etched crankshaft journals to be acceptable in an engine I own.