Winter Project - Instrumentation

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
One of my winter/spring projects is some new instrumentation for my C30. Currently it has a ST4000 auto pilot, ST50 Depth, Wind and Speed and my Garmin 547XS chart plotter. (Wind has a bad display)
I have an EV-100 AP sitting in it's box and I've been eyeing the Axiom 7 for a while.
At the Annapolis Boat Show I was talking to @LeslieTroyer and @jssailem about the Axiom and my options for instruments and they gave me some good ideas.

When I saw the Axiom 7 on sale recently I jumped on it and started planning.

Les and John had suggested an ITC5 to pick up the analog data from the depth and speed transducers to put the data on the SeaTalkng network and an i70 display. Les also mentioned I could go with a smart tri ducer. I like the idea of separate transducers so decided to stay with analog and go with the ITC5. This way I can get away with just a wind transducer and read the wind data on the i70 display instead of needing a i60 display.
Using the i70S display, which replaced the i70, frees up space so I have room to put the P70S AP control head in my pedestal instrument pod instead of on the side of the cockpit where the ST4000 control head is now.

Of course there is always project creep. I had trouble all last season while sailing on AP when I started my engine. The chart plotter would restart and the AP would do a crazy Ivan. Then I read in the instrument manuals RM recommends separate power supplies for instruments and engine starting.
So my first step is installing a Blue Sea Dual Circuit Plus battery switch, which will likely lead to some other improvements to the original DC distribution panel.

Here's the layout I made up for the new instrumentation.
Slide1.jpg

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
I'm doing the same thing, Ward, only hiring it out. I'm afraid to tackle the project myself as I'm not the most handy person. I went all Raymarine, with the eS78 chartplotter, the wind/depth/speed instrument pack, the EV-200 autopilot, , and two i70s multifunction instrument displays (one for the helm, one down below). The installer is supposed to start working on the installs any time now. I'm nervous about it because this is an expensive upgrade for me. Best of luck to you!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Ben4195 on the scale of 1-5 this can be a 3-4 on the DIY scale. Having a professional install is a great idea. Reading about the install procedures and observing the install, even asking a few ‘limited’ questions will help reduce the anxiety. Remember this is your boat. You want to be comfortable so that when an issue occurs, yes even with professional installs Mr Murphy can make a visit and usually when the timing is bad, you can diagnose the likely problem and be able to either fix it or at least describe it to a repair professional or here on the forum.

We have all been in your shoes. Opened ourselves to a checkbook-ectomy in the hope of better boating experiences. Asking questions and talking about the fears can help.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Ward, there is one more thing to take into consideration, planned obsolescence. While the itc5 is a great way of injecting "older" data into the data bus (I have one too) the transducers at some point will not be easily available. We're already seeing the next round with the Axiom, suddenly the Lighthouse updates are focusing on that.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
As a professional in this industry, I have been captain on numerous vessels that had Raymarine gear, from small yacht systems to commercial size and grade equipment on a treasure hunting vessel and a couple of tugs.
Both customer service and tech support have been less than helpful and in most cases quite unknowledgeable about the equipment they sell. In one specific case, when I needed a rotary autopilot drive, not one single employee of Raymarine (and believe me, I went through every department including engineers and designers) could tell me the horsepower of the unit I was enquiring about.
My 2 cents worth; I wouldn't waste my time installing Raymarine equipment in any vessel, even if it was given to me free. Buyer beware.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Of course there is always project creep. I had trouble all last season while sailing on AP when I started my engine. The chart plotter would restart and the AP would do a crazy Ivan. Then I read in the instrument manuals RM recommends separate power supplies for instruments and engine starting.
So my first step is installing a Blue Sea Dual Circuit Plus battery switch, which will likely lead to some other improvements to the original DC distribution panel.
Nice project, but are you sure you want to join the DCP brigade?!?! :yikes:
I'm all in favor, as you know. I'm a fan of DCP! :cool: Cover all your bases, though, by installing 2 on-off switches so you can isolate either of the 2 banks independently through the Combined position on the DCP switch, if you ever have a need to do it. Most folks will say it is imperative that you have that function. MaineSail has discussed this in his forum. It is simple but you will pay the price of 2 switches & extra cables. They should be located in a hidden location so they aren't inadvertently switched off at the wrong time. Is there another way to have start isolation without going the DCP route?
BTW, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the project and the results!

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I needed a stand alone autopilot and bought a complete wheel pilot from defender on sale with a raymarine rebate and a discount if replacing due to hurricanes. I installed it and kept getting a no pilot error. I hired an installer to check it out and found it out the software was out of date for one of the components. There is no way to upgrade the software without a chart plotter except to pack it up and send it to Raymarine. What a rip.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,
I have Older Raymarine ST50 depth, speed, wind instruments on my boat. I wanted an autopilot so I bought the EV100 wheel pilot. I paid a technician to install everything and I assisted him. I had a Garmin plotter at the time and I added a Simrad NMEA 2000 VHD / AIS receive. With the addition if the ITC 5 all units receive and share data and it works great. A few years ago I replaced the Garmin unit with a B&G Vulcan 7 and everything still works well.
I have no problem with Raymarine gear. If you want a wheel pilot they are pretty much the only game in town.

Good luck,
Barry

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I just purchased a Axiom 9 chart plotter and it will initially be a stand alone unit. This summer my first step will be to start a NMEA 2000 network to display engine data on the plotter. After that is up and running I'll replace any gauges that fail with NMEA 2000 stuff. After looking at how NMEA works the only hard part is pulling a new cable through the boat.
The nice thing about Axiom is I can update it using my cell phone, linked by Blue Tooth, to the plotter. Sea talk is RS232 and when is the last time you saw any RS232 devices for your home computer?

Oct 22, 2014
@Sailm8 I feel your pain.
It is bad but not quite that bad.
You can get online and download the new files from Raymarine. Save to an SD storage chip.
Then go to a Raymarine local dealer or a friend with a Raymarine plotter, @LeslieTroyer on my dock was my resource, and take your AP computer to their plotter. They can attach your Computer to their plotter and update your firm ware. Takes less than 5 minutes. I’ve heard that WM has done this for their customers.

Les was really great. Cost me a beer and a couple of stories. But I would have enjoyed that anyway.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Thanks for the tip. I just yesterday shipped it back to Raymarine on their dime. I can wait. Wouldn't it be nice if they put a usb port somewhere? Just say'n

Oct 22, 2014
Yes it would be.
But then how would they sell you a plotter and all their other toys.

Aug 1, 2011
Patches? We don' need no steenkin' patches. The good news is that the Lighthouse updates will touch every device on the Ray network. The bad news is that yes, you need a plotter, and no, for some stupid reason you can't hang your laptop off the NMEA segment of the bus and update everything. You should have a plotter anyway, even a little one. If for no other reason than the oooh aaaah factor. :)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Sea talk is RS232 and when is the last time you saw any RS232 devices for your home computer?
Seatalk is NOT RS 232. It is a multipoint - multidrop protocol where RS232 is strictly point to point. You may be able to communicate between the two with just two devices, but you loose the multi talker multi listener capability. Seatalk is also NOT NMEA 0183 which is a RS422 based Single talker multi listener protocol

Les

Aug 1, 2011
Les, of course you can talk any network to any network by twisting the blue and yellows together. There've been plenty of threads here that clearly indicate it's acceptable practise. (Followed immediately by the lack of threads detailing the effort in sending the gear in to be repaired)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Most serial protocols are fairly robust as long as their using proper driver chips, and don’t burn up when feed too high of voltage (they did in the 70& early 80’s) And there is a fair amount of overlap in the electrical portions (voltages, ground references, balanced, unbalanced, differential...) of the spec, so 12volt RS232 can usually talk to 5V implementation (like NMEA 0183) if distance and line loss isnt too great, and lot of folks get away with it, but it’s not guaranteed to work, and is in an undefined state as far as the spec goes. And because the can interact doesn’t make them the same thing

Maybe I’m being too technical but if your not following the rules of the spec, you can’t say you are.

Les

Aug 1, 2011
That's why there are things like the itc5 and the NMEA converter. Stray from that too much and things will act strange.

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
"Seatalk is NOT RS 232. It is a multipoint - multidrop protocol where RS232 is strictly point to point."
Yes you are correct but the basic electrical connection is almost the same as RS232. A standard RS232 UART can be used for a Seatalk network.

SeaTalk Technical Reference Part 1: How SeaTalk works
Hardware-Interface
SeaTalk uses three wires, connected in parallel to all devices on the bus:
  1. +12V Supply, red
  2. GND Supply, grey
  3. Data Serial Data, yellow: +12V=Idle/Mark=1, 0V=Space/Data=0, 4800 Baud, pullup circuit in each device, talker pulls down to 0V (wired OR). For connection to a RS232 receiver voltage levels must be inverted.
Serial Data Transmission
11 bits are transmitted for each character:
  • 1 Start bit (0V)
  • 8 Data Bits (least significant bit transmitted first)
  • 1 Command bit, set on the first character of each datagram. Reflected in the parity bit of most UARTs. Not compatible with NMEA0183 but well suited for the multiprocessor communications mode of 8051-family microcontrollers (bit SM2 in SCON set).
  • 1 Stop bit (+12V)

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
@Sailm8 I feel your pain.
It is bad but not quite that bad.
You can get online and download the new files from Raymarine. Save to an SD storage chip.
Then go to a Raymarine local dealer or a friend with a Raymarine plotter, @LeslieTroyer on my dock was my resource, and take your AP computer to their plotter. They can attach your Computer to their plotter and update your firm ware. Takes less than 5 minutes. I’ve heard that WM has done this for their customers.

Les was really great. Cost me a beer and a couple of stories. But I would have enjoyed that anyway.
I did this with West Marine. They let me hook up my Raymarine autopilot CPU to a Raymarine plotter put my SD card in and voila! I love my local WM!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@Ben4195 I agree with jssailem. A man has to know his limitations and sometimes that means to hire out rather than DIY. I'm sure you'll have fewer headaches than I will.

Ward, there is one more thing to take into consideration, planned obsolescence.
I agree but I don't think analog transducers are going away soon. I'm more worried about the instruments failing and becoming obsolete before the transducers.

@capta If only someone else offered a wheel pilot but they don't so Raymarine it is. I feel staying with one manufacturer makes it easier to troubleshoot than having a mixed system. After all, my system is not that complicated.

@Sailm8 Yep, it sucks but I used it as the excuse to buy the Axiom. John had told me to try getting WM to update it. Then someone else said sending it in to Raymarine during the winter downtime was the way to go.

Glad to here the good reports of the STng network and RM instruments.