Winter cruise

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've never been to the PNW but I followed your cruise on my Maps app.
Nice! Question: You sailed down the San Juan Channel towards Deception Pass. Do you sail South of Lopez Island in the Straight of Juan De Fuca or North around the island in more sheltered water? Saratoga passage back to Everett? Do local sailors use the Strait and Admiralty Inlet to go south of Whitby Island to approach the Washington Coast?
My bro-in-law lives in Astoria area and we talk about a charter in the San Juans sometime. I read these threads with interest.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Do you sail South of Lopez Island in the Straight of Juan De Fuca or North around the island in more sheltered water?
Typically, when leaving Roche/Friday Harbor towards Deception Pass, the shortest route is catching an ebb south in San Juan Channel (3-4 knots current maximum flow) and around the southern tip of Lopez Island. For those from the Puget Sound area (Everett, Kingston, Seattle, etc.) heading toward the Strait and Pacific Ocean, Admiralty Inlet is the shortest route, there following an ebbing tide. Depending on your departure, say from Seattle, boats will layover in the Port Townsend area and catch the next ebb through the Strait. Not many layover locations in the Strait, whether you turn right or left when entering the Pacific Ocean.

Dec 25, 2000
Saratoga passage back to Everett?
Yes. In forecasted sour weather, a more protected route from Roche Harbor to Everett would be across to Anacortes, through Swinomish Channel, which routes you back to Saratoga Pass and south to Everett. That is the route Les and John took on their return to Everett yesterday/today.

Dec 25, 2000
My bro-in-law lives in Astoria area and we talk about a charter in the San Juans sometime.
Several charter outfits in the Bellingham area. Plan as much time as you can and better if you spend more than a day in a particular location rather than trying to cover a large swath. Better to keep shorter distances between anchorages so that you can spend more time exploring the many islands that populate the San Juans.

Lots of cruising information in the archives of this site. Locations, anchorages, etc. A good book to study in preparation for your charter is Waggoners Cruising Guide. It is also available free in a PDF format from their site.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
anchorages, etc. A good book to study in preparation for your charter is Waggoners Cruising Guide. It is also available free in a PDF format from their site.
And if you sign up for it they email you every edition. Good winter reading.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Waggoners Cruising Guide. It is also available free in a PDF format from their site.
Terry, they used to do that. No longer from what John told me about his conversation with the new owner at a recent boat show. The owner has a convoluted business model in his mind which is bassackwards from modern day technology. He mistakenly thinks he'd be giving his product away for free instead of realizing the importance to his advertisers in getting as many of the product out there as possible. I have the 2000 hard copy with the 2016 on my computer.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So I gather that, like LI Sound, if you're not going with the current you're not really going.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
The owner has a convoluted business model in his mind which is bassackwards from modern day technology.
Waggoner's have a bunch of free downloads on their website such as checklists, procedures, plus other none essentials, but certainly no free cruising guide in pdf format as they use to have. I see that for $9.76 (US) you can buy a Kindle edition from Amazon. I received a 50% off discount code last week which brought the cost down to $15 for the guide then added the $49 (slowest) shipping from Anacortes to my home, BC (46 miles). I declined the purchase.

Dec 25, 2000
So I gather that, like LI Sound, if you're not going with the current you're not really going.
Yes. Especially through some of the channels that run north/south, e.g., San Juan, Guemes, Bellingham, Rosario, President, etc. If your boat does five knots over ground in calm water, these channels can run two to three knots or more maximum flow, in which case your boat will do either three knots over ground or seven.

I've been under sail through Guemes Channel on an ebb doing ten to twelve knots with just the genoa. Of course currents there will run three to four knots at maximum flow. Cruisers really need to pay attention to their tide books/apps and plan passages accordingly.

Dec 25, 2000
Terry, they used to do that.
Hi Stu, did not know that. Thanks for the update. I have a PDF from a few years ago, but never use it, as I prefer hardcopy. The book is updated each year, but even the one I have on board, which I think is 2014 or 15, provides what I need. I will usually find last year's copy to exchange in many of the marina libraries while out cruising. Okay, okay, just call me thrifty. :biggrin:

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have the Free 2017 pdf guide. The download link came mid apr. last year for it. If you want I give you a copy in May.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@Stu Jackson hope Graham was behaving himself on your trip home. @jssailem was very nice in pointing out all the things I missed while wrenching on the motor two days before. We took a little detour before going around Iceburg Pt. And went into Outer bay and I showed him grandma’s house. We had a screaming reach across Rosario St and managed 14.4 SOG. It was great seeing Terry on Rainbow bridge and later for lunch. John finished the Rye bread today and stuck me with Pastrami on Sour Dough. Sour Dough there ought to be a law!!!!! Made it back to the slip by 3:30 and had the 3steaks I bought for the cruise. You loose again Stu!!

Lots of fun. Can’t wait. End of month solo if weather and wife cooperate.

Mahalo Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes Leo. The 2017 PDF is the last free one as Waggoner’s begins a new life after ownership change. Mark Brunzel is a nice guy working to keep the tradition alive while looking to future technology for publishing.

Oct 22, 2014
stuck me with Pastrami on Sour Dough
Oh boy. That was a bit miss leading to the fine sailors on this site. As I recall when discussing bread you bought the rye for Stu and John. Les actually prefers sour dough.

But it is his boat and I am just a swab deck hand happy to participate.

Oct 22, 2014
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.
Winter sailing is an experience of it’s own. Sure challenges of temperature and rain/snow can make it grim, but the flip side is there are nearly no boats on the water your sailing. Plenty of open dock space. Short or no waiting to get a table by the window at a dining room. Marina rates are much better.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
End of month solo if weather and wife cooperate.
Graeme worked flawlessly. Thanks so much.
Graeme is our autopilot. The fuse blew a few weeks ago and I couldn't read the size on the old one, so looked at the manual and put in a 5A. It, too, blew. Les removed it and I gave him the manual. I didn't read it right, genius engineer that I am! :) Les fixed that right quick with a 15A fuse. Doh! :poke: Thanks again.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Great photos. Was fun following your winter cruise from afar. Thanks for keeping us updated.