Winter cruise

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
John,
I can tell by the color that's a girly beer, it's such a light, pretty color, not a manly dark, even black color. However, it is a Hazy IPA and Les doesn't seem like the girly type. I assume there wasn't a good porter available. Your photography talent is obvious, too, John. I'm sad to say that this is not a good time to fly out of Boston, right now. It doesn't look good for the next few days, either :wahwah:. I have a hatch board I have to get done before I fly out next week for a little fossil hunting in Florida.
I'll have to be satisfied with joining you via SBO. I'm really enjoying the trip, too.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Is there an airfield nearby?
Will; up here once you get to Seattle it'll be by Beaver on floats to where-ever they are! No airfield required.
John;If you guys get up this far you know our number. A cold brew and a hot shower available. Still working on getting Sun Gypsy ready for spring. May see Stu in Maple Bay in May on our way north?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi John, I take it that is your picture of Stu and Les having lunch? Nice shot of the moon rising over the church. If you get a chance you must spend some time inside. Quite nice. You can get an idea of its glamor here starting at about 4.0 minutes.

Very tempted to report in sick and rendezvous with you guys. So want to be on the water.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Current plan is for John and I to hit LaConner tomorrow via Deception, and Everett Sunday so John can make a meeting and I can fix the starting problem from my slip -vs- San Juan Channel.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Current plan is for John and I to hit LaConner tomorrow via Deception, and Everett Sunday so John can make a meeting and I can fix the starting problem from my slip -vs- San Juan Channel.
Great. I'll be in Laconner/Shelter Bay tomorrow, around mid day, to check on the boat and to work on replacing my anchor chain. Please give me a call at 425/870-6923. I'd like to stop by for a visit.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Will do. Have pictures not sure SBO will let us post. Can share over the beer.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Sorry I couldn’t join up. Auckland is 75 deg. Went sailing in the harbor yesterday on an America’s Cup boat raced by the Japanese in 1995. 25-30 its of wind which was really to much for that boat. Double reefed also with a tide opposition. Everyone got wet and I grinded and steered. Nice experience!

Oct 22, 2014
Morning breaks on day 4.
04F0A60B-426C-4E12-9914-354491021E27.jpeg

Friday Harbor treated us to Stu getting a late Christmas gift from WM.
The San Juan brewing company having an open door for thirsty sailors. Live music, good beer, pizza and three sailors telling stories.
The Canadians cruising in warmer US waters.
14DDF5DB-B7BD-41B9-A57A-0AA39801DEB6.jpeg

And interesting boats on the dock.
BB1D2315-7103-4008-9B3A-78C0632C34DD.jpeg

With the occasional graphic artist renderings
2A8CA44B-061A-4A1A-9E19-F0D0604D36DD.jpeg
Enhancing the boats name.

We part ways with Stu today. He heading north and Mahalo begins the two day cruise south towards home port.

It is too soon to stop the winter fun. But the grind of work starts again Monday.

Oct 22, 2014
We are away. Upon entering San Juan Channel the NW breeze joins our sail.
58EF44D2-971A-47CD-978E-225C9AB3579F.jpeg

And we clock a new SOG record
53FF4380-0CD6-4DDC-9001-1C229C33717D.jpeg
Not bad for a boat with an LWL of 29 ft.:laugh:

It is a bit chilly
B6A55BCC-2E41-4A3D-B59D-0F71DB34F5B9.jpeg

May 20, 2016
No that was down San Juan channel. Later crossing to deception clocked over 14.4 SOG. Sure wish the paddle wheel was spinning.

Les

May 20, 2016
Les, is that your pastrami? (STILL looking for that 'YUM' emoji).

-Will (Dragonfly)
@Terry Cox met us today at La Conner, he took photos of us going under the Rainbow Bridge then helped with the lines while docking. Still lots of my pastrami, rye bread, and cheese left so we all had lunch on Mahalo. YUM :clap:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think @Terry Cox should thank the powers that made it impossible to fly out of Boston, because if I had been able to make it, there wouldn't have been any pastrami left for that lunch.
Just saying, you're welcome;).

And, what a nice looking boat, Mahalo is.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Here are a few pictures of Mahalo below the Rainbow Bridge
News Flash from the International Space Station....
"A Brilliant Ground Flash was seen near Rainbow Bridge"
The ISS tracked its movements at 5 knots SOG. Quickly the ISS crew refocused their ultra high resolution space camera on this Brilliant light source.

ISS crew was disappointed to find some Bald Dude's Head, in a sailboat, was the source of the Flash.:(

Special Reporter...
Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
News "flash" cont'
While NASA was unimpressed with their discovery. Other members of the scientific community feel there may be larger implications for the solar collection and energy retransmission industries.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
Great pics Terry. Your a stand up guy. That’s why you get Pastrami. Oh what an afternoon. Blue sky’s, Sunshine, friends and pastrami on rye. Doesn’t get much better the 3 rd of March.

Like the Seinfeld guy would say to the naysayers, “NO PASTRAMI FOR YOU!”

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Dunno what planet these guys are on, but it's a balmy 40F at my house here. :) They lure me to the USA and then send me home!

I left Friday Harbor at 0940 and got back to my slip at 1640, includes a quick check-in back in to Canada at Tsehum.

John and Les at the brewery in Friday Harbor. In addition to solar flares, Les also grows light poles off his dome.
IMG_20180302_164008 (Medium).jpg

IMG_20180302_164835 (Medium).jpg

The Xmas present was the binoculars. Seems the WM binoculars I started buying in 1492 had repeated internal seal failures, so I kept returning them and getting new ones. The manager at Friday Harbor began by asserting I had been mistreating them and her starting offer was "No replacements for you, my computer says you've done this many times before, it MUST be you!" To which I replied, "Hmm, perhaps you don't see a pattern of poor quality in the product, and my disappointment over the years as your customer." John ambled over and lied through his teeth about what a perfect boat I keep! :) She then backed off and said, "I can offer you a replacement at half price ($55 US)." I declined.
She said, "You have to see it from my point of view."
"You're right, I completely understand, but I have been having to repeatedly return this defective product over the years and have been very honest and up-front with you about how many times I've had to do it."
"Yes, but my computer shows this anyway."
"But that's not the point, I mentioned it first and brought you the tons of my return receipts and one of the older binoc manuals with the lifetime warranty and never had an issue with any other associates, they ALL understood."
Turns out in retrospect that her real issue was that they'd finally discontinued the old models (guess why?!?) and she hadn't been able to figure out how to do a replacement swap on her computer. Once we gave her time to figure it out by being the incredibly patient sailors that we are, she relented and I got the new ones. Then she told us they are closing that store in early April. Guess they hadn't sold enough shirts & shorts!
IMG_20180302_180742 (Medium).jpg

Notice the really good pizza, BUT the two DARK filled glasses. Porter on the left and stout. Real "he-man" drinks!
IMG_20180303_111541 (Medium).jpg

Getting flushed out of Speiden Channel, but I was headed coming north up San Juan Channel. Essentially no wind all the way home, but the weather got warmer by the hour all day long. The other half of the pastrami sandwich I'd saved from the day before was superb.

Mahalo departing Roche for Friday:
IMG_20180302_111821 (Medium).jpg

Great times, too short. John is a genius when it comes to telephony issues. We wished, though, he never learned how to use a phone so his clients couldn't find him!

Nice shots, Terry. Hope to meet you soon.

Travel Tip for anyone planning to cruise with John: Never go to Friday Harbor with him, he tends to leave the very next day even if you have an open ended itinerary!!! :):):)

Looking forward to seeing y'all again in May in Roche Harbor for the Catalina Rendezvous.

Today I get to go back to the boat to remove that huge gaggle of food and clothes I bought for a much longer cruise. :)

If you follow their cruise, you'll notice they had FOLLOWING winds BOTH coming and going home. That means what, students? Yes, Stu had the wind on his nose both ways because was coming from the other direction!!! Some guys have all the luck.

Last edited: