Wing Keel Soft Mud in Slip

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Looking for thoughts regarding the impact of letting a 38-40 foot Catalina with a Wing Keel settle 18" into the mud during lunar low tides and 3"-4" into the mud in lower/low tides about 10 times a month.

Slip/Marina is well protected for storms and a great community.

Have seen a number of Catalina's deal with up to 30" of mud routinely ... just not sure about the long term impact.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
18", wow that seems like a lot, how shallow is the slip.?

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
The slip runs from about 3.5-4.0 at the lowest wind/lunar tides (a couple of tide cycles per month) and 6.5 at high tide.

Dec 12, 2013
Catalina 42 mk2 Newhaven, East Sussex, UK
No problem as long as it's really Soft. Mine sits in upto 4 feet for at least a week a month.
Only down sides are the time it takes for the mud to wash off the wings and the extra fouling you get.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Kiss the anti fouling paint in the affected area of the keel goodbye.

Jan 25, 2013
tartan 3700 northport NY
I had the same situation at my marina. I have a beavertail keel and every year when hauled, the bottom ten inches of my keel would be black and covered with baracles. This, inspite of scraping and fresh paint(Trinadad SR) the previous year. Laying on the ground removing baracles got old real fast! I think that the anaerobic conditions in the mud render the usually very effective Trinidad a non factor. That problem, plus the inability to get in or out of the slip within one and one half hours of low tide finally caused me to move to a mooring after seventeen years.

Dec 12, 2013
Catalina 42 mk2 Newhaven, East Sussex, UK
On the up side, when it starts to blow a gale she doesn't go anywhere if it's low tide.