Windward sheeting traveler car

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I would like to add a windward sheeting traveler car to my new boat, but I am not sure which size to get.

Can someone tell me whether I should get a 22mm or 27mm car?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What size track do you have? It may be relevant. You already have cleats on the ends?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
I would like to add a windward sheeting traveler car to my new boat, but I am not sure which size to get.

Can someone tell me whether I should get a 22mm or 27mm car?
Check the CatalinaDirect website for dimensions....

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Also consider a continuous loop on the control lines instead of two loose ends. Works great and much neater in the cockpit.

Feb 16, 2017
You will hate it! The biggest problem is when sitting at the dock and the boat rocks back and forth the boom sways side to side, the boom opens and closes one cleat the opens the other, as the boom continues to sway the traveler car will move more and more until the slack in the continuous loop is exhausted. The only solution is to have extra cleats or tie the boom in a way that does not allow the boom to move. Now that you've added the additional tie down for the boom you have created tripping hazards.
Use the this see below to solve the problem and there is no need to spend all of the money for windward sheeting.
by using the item below you can adjust from the high side, low side, cleat, and un-cleat.

Problem solved

upload_2018-10-31_9-42-13.png

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
True about a swaying boom loosening the car. We have permanently attached preventer lines which we tighten to one side when anchored keeping the boom fixed to that side. Under sail with unskilled guests the windward sheeting car provides a job they can do without detailed instructions, "Pull the traveller up!"

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Me again. My dealer is trying to talk me out of this and simply install a continuous line so that I can release the traveler from the high side if needed. Same for extending the traveler to cover the entire width of the cockpit, he says that it is not worth the effort.

Thoughts?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've had both, several times. I prefer separate controls and I would ditch the one I have now if not for the expense.
+1 on continuous lines.