Window replacement 1989 22

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
My portside windows were very cracked and leaked bad so I took the windows out and started clean all the old goop off. Due to the fact that Catalina did not pre drill the holes for the screws it cracked the gel coat on all the screw holes so I had to do a lot for gel coat repair. The photo shows after all the repairs have been finished.
If it ever stops raining I will post photos for the installation

Attachments

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
It would look so nice and clean to just have new tinted windows that installed with urethane like modern boats and cars. That urethane is so tough that the glass become an effective part of the structure.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Nice work on the gel-coat repairs! If I were to replace mine I think I would not try and screw them back in place but use an adhesive like in the video. It just makes for a clean look and the less holes the less potential for leaks. Great work so far and I look forward to seeing the completed pictures.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
I love his, and Tips by a Shipwright's videos. Always doing real world projects all of us can encounter.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Nice work on the gel-coat repairs! If I were to replace mine I think I would not try and screw them back in place but use an adhesive like in the video. It just makes for a clean look and the less holes the less potential for leaks. Great work so far and I look forward to seeing the completed pictures.

That's how I did our Vega's windows. I'll use the same method on the C22 when the time comes.

Mar 2, 2018
Looks great Gene ! Please tell us more about how you did it.
While I normally think everything Shipwright does is fantastic I am very skeptical of his use of VHB in the application. I have been using VHB for years in my business and love it for certain things but not in that application. I will be calling 3M this week to talk to a tech about it. First it may work good if you have a brand new laying bed for the tape to adhere to but mine was less than perfect so any imperfections and the tape does not seek low spots and will not bond. 2nd he had to score the gel coat in the corners to round them off which scores the gel coat, BAD. Next because he leaves the plex covered he can't see if he had total contact with the VHB .Any lack of contact will help cause failure.Once his started to chalk the windows he didn't try very hard to fill the space around the window with chalk . Remember because he used VHB he had only a small bead around the window to seal it from water. Also where the tape butted together will not keep water out.
Just my take on it any way.
As for the screws they are only there to keep it down and in place until the caulking dries . I'd would have like to not use them but at the angle the windows are at I don't see an easy way to keep enough pressure no the window until it sets.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 22 Madison In.
I still think automotive type windshield urethane would play more friendly with a flat glass and a non planer and or uniform bed below the new window. I would also strive to find an auto windshield reveal to bridge between the window and the painted hull around it to avoid the silicone around the periemeter, all of us didlike silicone as much as he does easily.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Looks great Gene ! Please tell us more about how you did it.
I used 1/2" VHB tape, centered on the contact surfaces. Then caulked with DC795 from both outside and inside the boat, forcing the caulk to fill the resulting gap on either side of the tape. Precise masking is crucial, as the DC795 is a PITA to work with. Once the masking tape comes off, any attempt to smooth the bead usually makes it worse instead of better.

Mar 2, 2018
Looks great Gene. I had really good luck and very little hassle by cleaning almost all of the chalk off with mineral spirits then pulling the tape.

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
I used 1/2" VHB tape, centered on the contact surfaces. Then caulked with DC795 from both outside and inside the boat, forcing the caulk to fill the resulting gap on either side of the tape. Precise masking is crucial, as the DC795 is a PITA to work with. Once the masking tape comes off, any attempt to smooth the bead usually makes it worse instead of better.

Where did you get the acrylic from gene? Mine are crazed beyond repair so they'll need replaced.

Mar 2, 2018
I brought my old windows to a plastics company near me and they matched them.

losey

Jun 22, 2013
Catalina 310 Kaneohe Yacht Club
My Catalina 28 has a slightly rounded cabin side. Is the 22 flat? I wonder if the VHB tape method will hold the plastic to a slightly bent shape?