Window issue

Jul 6, 2017
Catalina 22 MKII Providence RI
Has any one had this problem. I have a Cat 22 MKII and the interior base of one of the windows is delaminating and retaining water. I don't know where the water is coming from./ I guess the window might need to be resealed or rebedded. Has anyone had this? I am posting photos.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Looks like their is coring around the portlight and the water it rotting it away, so that the fibreglass is delaminating from the wood core. (never seen a mk2 in person so just guessing based on the photos)

If so, how far does the wood rot go ?

Looks like the surface below the portlight has water damage ?
In fact the surface above the portlight looks wet.
Maybe a crack developed in the laminate at the bottom of the window and with water always running down the interior, water got into the crack, and it eventually rotted ?

It could be the portlight leaking, or even further up from fittings on the cabin top that need to be rebedded/sealed, etc.

I'd soak the outside of the cabin with a hose and look for the source of the leak.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2017
Catalina 22 MKII Providence RI
The water that you can see is from me pushing hard against the delaminated spot and water squirted up splashing on the window.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I was wondering about that! How long does it take that quantity of water to collect?

Stony, I think you are the only Mk II owner around here these days. That's good, except there's no one to give you firsthand, model-specific advice. But we'll do the best we can. :)

The first thing you need to do is find that leak!! I kinda doubt it's the window, but hopefully I'm wrong, as that would be a relatively easy fix. Can you have someone hold a garden hose to the outside of the window and see if you get water inside? Likely or not, the window is where I'd start hunting.

After that I'd be looking directly upward, toward the poptop hatch. Sadly, your Mk II hatch is entirely different from any other C22, and few if any of us have ever seen one in person, including me. So pics there would help.

I would also throw a tarp over the boom until the leak has been found and fixed, in the hope of reducing further damage.

Also - just spitballing here - it's possible that owners of C25's or 27's in Mk II configuration might be of more help. Just a thought.

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
The water could be coming from oversized holes on the cabin top that were drilled when installing screws to hold down the two plastic hatch slide/tracks. That is the first place I would check. Other area might be lifeline stanchions and the tracks for the jib cars.