Windlass on B331 - can I haul the anchor manually?

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
I have a factory installed Lewmar windlass with the capstan. You use a lever without a handle to loosen it to let the anchor drop down - no issues there.
Can I also use this to haul the anchor up with winch handle? The chain is, of course, wrapped around the base of the capstan, so does that unhook?
The Lewmar instructions does say it is possible with some models, but I cannot tell which one I have.
Thanks!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Some models of Lewmar winlasses can be fitted with a manual recovery kit that is an optional feature at additional cost. Beneteau did not include that feature on their factory installations. Not sure if your model can be adapted with the manual kit. Would have to contact Lewmar to verify. Yes, the chain can be released from the gypsy by way of a retractable lever. Once you release the chain you can haul the chain & rode by hand if the windlass is inoperative.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have a factory installed Lewmar windlass with the capstan, but I cannot tell which one I have.
Thanks!
Fairly certain that you have a Lewmar concept 1 windlass, same that was used on the 343s. The concept windlass series was discontinued some time ago.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
If I cannot manually retrieve the rode, how would I just use the capstan? I assume I can electrically use it......could I use that to winch in the rode? (PS, yes it is a Concept 1)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Try backing off the lug on the top of the drum with the accessory wrench, then try activating the on/off switch. The Drum should operate and you can use it to retrieve the rode.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes. With the capstan you can wrap the rode around it and retrieve the anchor. You can use the capstan or the gypsy (the area where your chain is wrapped) in either electric or manual mode. You will need a winch handle to rotate the unit. You they make a kit to convert the unit to manual.

Note when breaking the anchor free, you close up to the anchor location, wind in the slack, let the bow release the anchor and wind it aboard.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Be careful with a manual release as once you release the gypsy the anchor will free fall.... fast! At least that is what the H3 does.

Good luck
Greg