Windlass Hunter 33

Aug 22, 2018
Hunter 33 Prinyers Cove, PE County, ON
Hi folks,
I am new to this forum and in the next couple of weeks a first time Hunter owner.
I am buying a 2007 Hunter 33. I’m stepping up from a contessa 26 so its a big move but needless to say very excited.
It has almost everything I want including after this brutal summer AC. I am amazed though that the original owner cheaped out and didn’t go for an electric windlass.
So my question is, could somebody recommend a windlass? It will be vertical mount and I want to conceal it under the locker hatch. A good winter project!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Try going into owner info and find a 33 owner who has a windlass and contact him by email
and get as much info as possible for install.
You will need to mount it on a plate form in the anchor locker and run 2 heavy cables back to
the 1/2 both switch and also a breaker for the windlass and 2 buttons up at the anchor locker.
The 33 not that different from my 36 and that how mine is set up.
Nick

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
You probably need a windlass without the upper part for role as your anchor locker door may not have a hole for the protruding portion. Also SL probably have a base plate for chain to fall forward instead of directly down.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Bo
You should have manual with model and I have a hole in anchor locker door ???.
When ever I use myanchor I need to have door open so why the hole and yes my windlass
does I guess the hole for clearance but get the info from BO and model and photo’s and what size cable used.
Nick

Aug 22, 2018
Thanks for the repliess so far.
Here is a picture of the anchor well. Not sure if the windlass will have to protrude?
upload_2018-8-25_16-12-14.jpeg

PcGood

Oct 7, 2018
Hunter 336 Anacortes
Hi! I am wanting to install an electric windlass if possible on my Hunter 336. Do you have photos of your install you can post?
Pamela

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
If you can don’t bother with one has the drum up into a hole in locker door and have never used
that on my 2007 H-36 and it is a waste.
Nick

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have a Quick windlass and its an excellent windlass. If you decide to not have a drum, make sure the gypsycan handle both chain and rope. I would think twice about deleting the drum. It can be used to take someone up the mast, haul a dinghy up on deck, well you get the idea..

Aug 22, 2018
I am settled on buying the Lemar V1 vertical. No drum.
Just got to figure out how to install it.

Aug 22, 2018
Hello again everybody,
So I went to the Toronto boat show this past weekend. I ended up getting the Lewmar VX2 with 5/16 gypsy which was on sale reduced to $990. I also bought 200' chain. All in with taxes in $1970. I'll post some pics once the temperatures improve and I get it installed.
My friend said it will be about $1000 to install. I said no way, I'm doing it myself so $2000. My friend said he's helping so $4000!!

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hello again everybody,
So I went to the Toronto boat show this past weekend. I ended up getting the Lewmar V2 with 5/16 gypsy which was on sale reduced to $990. I also bought 200' chain. All in with taxes in $1970. I'll post some pics once the temperatures improve and I get it installed.
My friend said it will be about $1000 to install. I said no way, I'm doing it myself so $2000. My friend said he's helping so $4000!!

I was at the TO show the first Sun & then again Thurs. I talked to the guys at Lewmar and they recommended the Lewmar V1, so the V2 at that price is a very good deal. Who did you get that from?

The owners manual has the wiring diagram for the windlass. Breaker on the 12v panel is for the up down switch. Don't recall if the wiring is run for the power as well.

I've managed for 10 years hauling by hand with 50ft. chain and 15kg anchor. Anchored in 10 - 15' water there's not a lot of weight to pull up, but I'll be installing one soon.

BTW nice boat. Where did you get it from.

Aug 22, 2018
Hi Scott
I bought the windlass from Genco marine. they are based in Mississauga. I think they had the V1 for $780. I you call them in the next day or two I wouldn't mind betting that they would honor the boat show price. I went for the V2 because it is has just that little more power and at that price was still less than the V1 normal retail price.
I found the guys at Lewmar were not very helpful. I have done a lot of research over the past couple of months and I think I could now get a job with Lewmar.
I currently haul by hand on my present/old boat a Contessa 26. I intend to anchor a lot more with the Hunter so my thoughts are that even though I don't have a bad back I want to keep it that way.
Thank you, yes it is a nice boat. I cant wait to get it in the water and start using it. The best part about being at the boat show was coming to the realization that my Hunter 33 is everything that I need or want.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Hello again everybody,
So I went to the Toronto boat show this past weekend. I ended up getting the Lewmar V2 with 5/16 gypsy which was on sale reduced to $990. I also bought 200' chain. All in with taxes in $1970. I'll post some pics once the temperatures improve and I get it installed.
JN, it is not hard to install. Like most projects, think about it alot. I sat on the foredeck looking into the empty anchor locker for ideas. I even asked other skippers who chanced to walk by about their experiences. I installed it, but then 3 years later moved the winch foreward a few inches to increase the drop. M B32 3 could have gotten by with a 750, but opted for the 1000 .

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hi Scott
I bought the windlass from Genco marine. they are based in Mississauga. I think they had the V1 for $780. I you call them in the next day or two I wouldn't mind betting that they would honor the boat show price. I went for the V2 because it is has just that little more power and at that price was still less than the V1 normal retail price.
I found the guys at Lewmar were not very helpful. I have done a lot of research over the past couple of months and I think I could now get a job with Lewmar.
I currently haul by hand on my present/old boat a Contessa 26. I intend to anchor a lot more with the Hunter so my thoughts are that even though I don't have a bad back I want to keep it that way.
Thank you, yes it is a nice boat. I cant wait to get it in the water and start using it. The best part about being at the boat show was coming to the realization that my Hunter 33 is everything that I need or want.

I know Genco. Got my tarp from them couple years back. I saw the windlass they had on sale, but was confused between the V1, V2 series vs. VX1, VX2 they had on sale?

We anchor out every weekend and a couple of week long trips. So far has not been too bad by hand, and have other projects to work on. Just installed solar last year which was great anchored for 5 days and not starting the motor.

Aug 22, 2018
Scott,
Sorry yes you are correct. It is the VX2. The V is being discontinued. The VX has some components manufactured from reinforced nylon instead of stainless steel.