Windlass foot switch placement

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I'm progressing on the installation of my Lofrans Tigress windlass. It has up and down foot switches. Before I start drilling holes everywhere, I thought I'd ask for suggestions or comments on foot switch placement. I am also getting wireless remote control but I want both. There is no deck space available, the locker hatch goes all the way to the V of the deck. The windlass is mounted up on the toe rail which is very big there, where the old manual SL 555 was. I usually stand on a divider in the locker with one foot and the other foot on the teak toe rail that is about 8" wide. I'm thinking I can mount the foot switches there on the wide, flat, teak toe rail. off to starboard. Left leg on the divider and right leg at the switches. The flip-open covers for the switches will stay within the flat surface of the toe rail, so there's little risk of getting whacked. The only other place for the switches is on the anchor locker divider wall. But it will take a lot to build a shelf for them, they will be farther away from the windlass and the shelf will impede access to the chain locker somewhat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You might think of a teathered switch in place of the foot switch. It has smaller deck penitrations and can be mounted high on the anchor locker sidewall

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I'm getting a wireless remote control for hand work. Thinking I may want to use foot actuated. One hand for the washdown hose and one hand on the rail or elsewhere leaves the foot switch as a good way to run the windlass up.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
First off, congratulations on buying the Tigress; great windlass. Without pictures, I can't give you my opinion on switch placement.
Do remember that the Tigress is a 'freefall' windlass and you will not want to power it down. The only time we power down is when we hang the anchor before dropping or if we want to let out more scope if things get a bit hairy.
The biggest problem w/foot switches is people stepping on them when they are 'live'. Placement should keep this in mind, but they must be easily usable even if the boat is rocking and rolling heavily.