Wind needed to sail Catalina 25'

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Allen

I have recently purchased a 79' Catalina 25'. I am real new to sailing but I really love it. My question is what is a good range of wind speed to sail my boat in. My buddy has a 22' Catalina and he does not seem to need that much wind to get his boat going. I am soo knew to all this that I just do not know what wind speed I should look for before I should take mine out. Can anyone here help?

B

Brad

Sailing is good anytime!

Michael, I am of the opinion that sailing anytime is good! OK, maybe if the wind is too strong for the experience of the skipper and type of boat it might not be good. However, getting out in all kinds of wind is good experience and training. It is the experience that is the best teacher. So, go out even in light air, when the '22s are moving, and see if you can get your '25 going. All it will take is a bit of trying different sail adjustments...search for posted articles on light wind sailing to get some ideas for the particular controls and their adjustments (SailNet has a few, try the link provided). Light air means wider tacking angles, possibly some induced heel by sitting on the leeward side, and smooth movements on deck and with the rudder. Happy sailing! Brad. P.S. I have one of those '22s like your buddy.

B

Bob F

Wind speed

I have a Catalina 22 and my personal experience has been that anything less than 6 to 8 knots isn't much fun and anything over about 18 knots is more work than fun. This, of course, is a personal observation. I love those 10 to 15 knot days.

R

Robert W. Bonney

Sail Trim

Hi Michael, I agree with Brad. Sailing is fun anytime. There is some great information right here in Don's Sail Trim Forum on sailing in light wind. I purchased his book and have gained a ton of useful tips on sailing in all conditions. He does a great job of explaing not only what to do but why it works.

P

Pete Staehling

It Depends!

Sometimes I have enjoyed being out sailing when it was only maybe 1-2 knots. Night time, a full moon, barely moving along, and not a ripple on the water. How can you not enjoy that? On the other hand, 4 knots and tremendous amounts of big wakes and traffic can be a real drag. I like it best when there is 10-25 kts, but in the early learning stages 6-12 is good. Oh yeah I have a 22. I don't think the 25 really needs more wind though.

L

Leon Sisson

Thoughts on Catalina 25 beginner wind range.

I sail a 1979 Catalina. Like Brad said, any wind is good wind. As a beginner, I'd say there's no such thing a too light a wind, but of course avoid conditions too heavy for your experience. The 5 to 15 knot range might be a good place to start. If you see whitecaps forming, stop and think about what you're getting into. Another thing you might want to think about as your experience and skills develop, is acquiring a variety of headsails. You probably have a 110% working jib, and maybe a 150% genoa. Other usefull headsails, depending on prevailng wind strengths in your sailing area, are a 165% drifter or cruising spinnaker for lighter air, and an 85% heavy air jib which could also be rigged self-tacking. Consult your local sail loft for more info. (But remember they're in business to sell sails!) -- Leon Sisson

J

John J

C25 wind range

Our first boat was a 1978 C25. With real light winds and old sails, it was pretty slow. In the 20-30 range with a double reef and a 110, the boat balanced perfectly and was a pleasure to sail. The older C25's are a very forgiving boat and easy to sail Enjoy.

H

Herb Tripp

Wind vs Boat size

A general rule I have found useful on boats ranging from 16 to 45 feet or so is that when the true wind speed approaches the waterline length of the boat, going upwind becomes uncomfortable. Not dangerous; it can be exciting to beat upwind in heavy air, but wet, bouncy, and not much fun if you're just trying to get home. Remember that 15 knots true feels like 20 if you're making 5 kn boatspeed upwind, while the same 15 downwind seems like a gentle 10 kn for the same 5 kn boatspeed. This is why two sailors can go out on the same day, on the same body of water, and come back with very different stories to tell about their sail.

Status
Not open for further replies.