Wind Limits with an Asymmetrical Spinnaker

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Apparently our military guys have one. might be easier just to get two new tires for the truck.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Apparently our military guys have one.
Lockheed Martin is probably somewhat upset with that sparse of an inventory. o_O

Looking at this terrible photo of my bowsprit, I wonder if I can even fit a TD furler's control line apparatus there.
Needs measuring soon.

image.jpeg

Aug 1, 2011
No problem. The line(s) from the drum go almost immediately off to the side, and if you were to do a pole to get the thing further out front, the angle lessens. Here's a bit of video that shows what I mean, it was the first test of the drum assembly, but if you look at the angle of the line, it goes outside the bow rail at the front and weaves it's way alternating inside and outside. If you use the stanchions as guides, you can almost get away without those expensive little routing clamps. Almost.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
No problem. The line(s) from the drum go almost immediately off to the side, and if you were to do a pole to get the thing further out front, the angle lessens. Here's a bit of video that shows what I mean, it was the first test of the drum assembly, but if you look at the angle of the line, it goes outside the bow rail at the front and weaves it's way alternating inside and outside. If you use the stanchions as guides, you can almost get away without those expensive little routing clamps. Almost.

Errr... that's NOT a top-down furler, indeed it's a bottom up.

A top-down has a lower Tack shackle that free turns (or actually does not) while the torque is transferred to the top head shackle via the torsion line, and THATS what turns and winds the sail.

Due to the cut of an asymmetric and the wind loading it works much better.

Aug 1, 2011
Bzzzzt. The tang has yet to be welded to it at that time. It's indeed a true top down, the green play line has been supplanted by a nice Marlow torsion line. That video was at the "woo hoo it might just work" stage. :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Bzzzzt. The tang has yet to be welded to it at that time. It's indeed a true top down, the green play line has been supplanted by a nice Marlow torsion line. That video was at the "woo hoo it might just work" stage. :)
Excellent!!

Aug 1, 2011
Thank you kind sir! If one were to have bought a little lathe and mill, it would have been cheaper to buy the whole furler. But this was just another column in the cost benefit analysis :)