Wind generator

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi Maine Sail,

It appears to me that when our wind generator is running we lose or not produce power to the batteries. We've had some very calm days where I noted a general average of power use. Then yesterday with the wind 15-20 most of the day and half the night, we've used more power with no change in our activities or power use. I have the Marine Kinetix wind generator with Spreco 40A/20A hybrid controller.

All U Get

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
If you are using a battery monitor to see the level of AH in your bank, maybe the charge from the WG is counting down AH instead of counting up. I think a reversed connection could cause this. I am not saying that the WG is discharging the batteries, but that the battery "gauge" is lying to you. With my Air-X WG and the winds you describe, my battery monitor would show a gain of 50-80 AH over 24 hours.

Oct 2, 2008
On the controller I rarely see over 10 amps when the wind is gusting over 20. Mostly the amps delivered is 3-7 in about 10-15 knots wind.

All U Get

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
On the controller I rarely see over 10 amps when the wind is gusting over 20. Mostly the amps delivered is 3-7 in about 10-15 knots wind.

All U Get
I may be missing something or misreading, but Rich's daily generated amps sound about right for your AH reading.

Oct 2, 2008
The watts/wind speed graph in the owners manual shows 200watts at 15 kts wind and 300 watts at 17 kts and then the brake usually kicks on so I never get near the optimum wattage. Problem is that it sometimes causes us to run our gen-set more when the wind is blowing. However last night was different in that the batteries were near full because we had 20 kts of wind until 8 pm and gradually slowing until about 2 am.

All U Get

Oct 2, 2008
The watts/wind speed graph in the owners manual shows 200watts at 15 kts wind and 300 watts at 17 kts and then the brake usually kicks on so I never get near the optimum wattage. Problem is that it sometimes causes us to run our gen-set more when the wind is blowing. However last night was different in that the batteries were near full because we had 20 kts of wind until 8 pm and gradually slowing until about 2 am.

All U Get

Oct 2, 2008

All U Get

Help Phill, need to get rid of two repeats.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2015
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
What make/model of WG and regulator are you using?
If the WG is in its "brake mode" then the regulator is telling it that the batteries are fully charged.
Most WGs generate in 3 phase, which is then rectified, the rectifiers are usually mounted in the WG housing. The rectifiers provide a one way "diode" effect, so you won't get back feed to the WG.
Neil

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi Maine Sail,

It appears to me that when our wind generator is running we lose or not produce power to the batteries. We've had some very calm days where I noted a general average of power use. Then yesterday with the wind 15-20 most of the day and half the night, we've used more power with no change in our activities or power use. I have the Marine Kinetix wind generator with Spreco 40A/20A hybrid controller.

All U Get
Tried to call.. Ring me on my cell, much easier that way...

Aug 27, 2015
Cal 2-46 Whitianga. New Zealand
Just a thought. When the batteries a full or nearly the back feed tells the wind gen regulator to reduce its feed.
To show maximum feed from the wind gen the batteries need to be beefing a charge.
We can produce 35amps off our Superwind. But never do as the batteries are almost always full.

Oct 2, 2008
Since we haven't had enough wind to amount to anything, I'll have to wait until we cross this week to pick up again. It could be that the batteries are almost full most of the time. The solar panel has been keeping the charge up with all the clear days we've been having.

All U Get