WinchRite failure

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
WE have been using the WinchRite to raise the main the last 3 feet on our 11.0a for the past three summers. It has performed reasonably well and we have followed the charging protocol. It is quite slow hauling up the main, we wish it would perform a bit faster. We have 2 full battens and 2 partial battens in the Dacron main. We never use the WinchRite under load, but only when the boat is into the wind to raise the main. Yesterday, When we tried to use it, after having charged it fully, it would not work. No clicking, no noise, nothing. We put it back on the charger later, and after 3 minutes, the green light came on indicating a full charge. Again, nothing. I emailed Sailology, the manufacturer, and they gave me no direction other than a choice to either mail it in and get a credit of $300 off the new one which is now $799, or pay shipping and $237 for a service charge/repair. We have given this device VERY light use, only about once a week during the summer months. We originally paid $550 for this, and I don't think we have gotten our money's worth from it. I resist having to pay an additional $250 or thereabouts to get a few more years of light use, and then likely have to repeat the procedure. I have read reviews from others on this forum, but not from someone who has used it for multiple years. In addition, the bright red literature that comes with it specifically says you are NOT to use it to haul someone up the mast. We have not done that. I have read reviews and suggestions from people who have used a 28v Milwaukee drill with specialized winchbit. Could we begin a discussion of the pros and cons of repairing this device, or going an alternate route?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
IMHO, the battery is probably shot. Just like in battery-powered drills, these batteries have a finite life - yours is most likely at that point.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Take the unit to a Batteries Plus location. There is one in Holland, MI. They may be able to provide you with a test and a replacement if necessary.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
If found this....

The company does offer a battery replacement service - $149

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Jtoben,
It's NOT the battery! I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago with mine. One minute it worked fine, and the next minute it died. Luckily I was just inside the one year warrantee and they fixed it for free and worked fine ever since (and I do use it for hoisting ppl up the mast with no problem.) I emailed them back and asked them to tell me what had happened and what they fixed so I know for next time and they basically said that it was a blown fuse and they also did some other upgrades (were not specific) that they implemented since the original manufacture. The speed button was installed in reverse when I first bought it but I got used to it after a while and never mentioned it, but I noticed that when I got it back from repair the switch was fixed!! The batteries were ok so if you are out of warrantee, you really have no other choice. You can't even open it up to look inside without special tools. Maybe if you complained enough they will give you some sort of a deal on the repair. Good luck.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Lee, OP has used his unit for 3 seasons. How long have you used yours since the repair from WinchRite?

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Lee, OP has used his unit for 3 seasons. How long have you used yours since the repair from WinchRite?
I don't see the point of your question. My point was that they didn't do anything with the battery and it works like new after "other" repairs. So I would not spend the money to change the battery just in case. If it was the battery it would have slowly degraded and it would still turn a little bit after a new charge...just like any power tool.
Lee

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
Les, thank you for your response! We agree that it is likely a fuse or wiring issue due to the exact nature of the failure as you describe. Sailology, the mfg of WinchRite only offers a one size fits all service repair, at $247 plus shipping. We believe our battery is perfectly fine, due to light usage and proper charging procedure over the past several years of summer sailing only. I have emailed Sailology to ask if they offer a service that is based on the fuse replacement rather than on the whole motor upgrade and battery replacement. I will be interested in their reply. We are also tempted to take this apart, but wondered about special tools required and the possibility of damaging the unit ourselves. I would love to hear from any of you adventurous types who may have taken this unit apart, or tried to. For now, I will continue to work with the Tech support at the company and see what we can work out. Again, THANK YOU for all the responses, and we welcome the input.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Use a drill

Save your money. Buy one of this:

M18 Fuel 18-Volt Brushless Lithium-Ion Hammer Drill/Impact Driver XC Combo Kit

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...Kit-2797-22/203639295?N=5yc1vZc298ZzvZ1z140i3

Add a Winchbit for $50 and you are good to go.

http://www.winchbit.com/index.html

Anything designed solely for marine are much more expensive.

This drill can take a main sail on a Hunter 33 (big sail) all the way to the top with tension. It last 20 hoists before recharging. Came with 2 batteries and a charger.

We use it on the main sheet (on gybe) and Spinnaker halyard as well. Very high torque.

Aug 5, 2006
Hunter 33 brisbane
I've had two Winchrites over a number of years and have given up on the batteries and electronics. They are just too sensitive so I have tossed out the board and battery and wired direct to a plug- in socket near the main winch. Only just completed the wiring but it has worked twice now on raising the main and furling the headsail.

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
Nick, I am interested in how you did that fix. Could you send me some pictures or a detailed description of how you took the thing apart?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I'd be interested too

Nick, I am interested in how you did that fix. Could you send me some pictures or a detailed description of how you took the thing apart?
I'd be interested in how you did the wiring and fix too. Pictures would be helpful if you have them. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Save your money. Buy one of this:

M18 Fuel 18-Volt Brushless Lithium-Ion Hammer Drill/Impact Driver XC Combo Kit

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...Kit-2797-22/203639295?N=5yc1vZc298ZzvZ1z140i3

Add a Winchbit for $50 and you are good to go.

http://www.winchbit.com/index.html

Anything designed solely for marine are much more expensive.

This drill can take a main sail on a Hunter 33 (big sail) all the way to the top with tension. It last 20 hoists before recharging. Came with 2 batteries and a charger.

We use it on the main sheet (on gybe) and Spinnaker halyard as well. Very high torque.
The Winchbit recommended tool is much heavier that the one you posted... it's also a right angle drive... with battery it retails for $379 at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-Cordless-Right-Angle-Drill-0721-21/100595747

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
I'm sure the right angle drills are a great alternative, but since we already own the WinchRite, it seems more prudent to try a repair. We had good use from it for several years, do we are interested in how Nick fixed his. I really think it is probably the fuse, as an earlier post suggested.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
they basically said that it was a blown fuse and they also did some other upgrades (were not specific) that they implemented since the original manufacture. The speed button was installed in reverse when I first bought it but I got used to it after a while and never mentioned it, but I noticed that when I got it back from repair the switch was fixed!! The batteries were ok so if you are out of warrantee, you really have no other choice. You can't even open it up to look inside without special tools.
I'm revisiting this. Mine has stopped working also. I did open it up ( it requires only a Phillips screwdriver ), and found that there is no visible fuse. But I did find a fully charged battery, and it appeared that the trigger switch was not working. If you ask me, that is not a $247 value. I've been a supporter Of WinchRite in the past, but this is a wversion 5.1 and they say support for it ended in 2015. I will be seeking redress from them, but based on previous posts I don't hold out much hope for that.

Update: I contacted WinchRite viaa their "Contact Us" page about 3 months ago, but I have never received even an acknowledgement.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
The Winchbit recommended tool is much heavier that the one you posted... it's also a right angle drive... with battery(2) plus charger, it retails for $379 at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-Cordless-Right-Angle-Drill-0721-21/100595747
The Mil. 18 volt cost about $60 more, but weighs 7 lbs versus almost 20 lbs... If your wife can handle a 20lb one, then she does not need an electric winch...LOL. The M1800 has higher torgue! Also the Kit for the 18V Feul has 2 Bats.. so it is really a cheaper alternative.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-2-in-Right-Angle-Drill-Kit-2707-22/205462852.

My Winchrite also has a battery problem. Barely moves after showing green light. Works fine if you keep the charger plugged in....

Winchrite, with no US service that I can find... and even with the replacement credit, the $450 M1800 is no more costly. Has 5 year warranty , weighs less and the bats have a 3 year warranty and are plug and play. An extra bat is 120 bucks w/charger $149) (has a gauge showing power left, cheaper than getting a new Bat from Winchrite, NOT as cool looking but better all around and I can take it back to any Home Depot.... no expensive shipping.

I got mine used on EBAY used, so if I can't get it to charge now after being fine for 6 months, then I'm out 120 bucks, perhaps worth it to find out, I'm better off with an M1800 Fuel, which can be used for other things.

Good Idea, not the best service and not an easily serviceable product. I rate the Winchrite , now NOT a BUY.... Price is almost 400 more for less utility, not as useable (less applications), yes the foam padding is nice on the cockpit and etc. Winchrite's price needs to be $300 plus less to be considered.

The Bare M18 right angle drill can be purchased for just $219 on EBAY... So if it goes over, or breaks.. well 218 and you are back in operation.... and you have another 5 year warranty.. not so with Winchrite's $249 repair service.

Regards ,
Viper

Last edited: