Winch removal and lube Macgregor 26X.

Nov 7, 2018
Macgregor 2002 Macgregpr 26X Sebring, FL
Trying to remove winches. Anyone have a good technique for doing this? Have already lost a wrench down in the fiberglass pocket, starboard side.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Trying to remove winches. Anyone have a good technique for doing this? Have already lost a wrench down in the fiberglass pocket, starboard side.
Identify your winch, for example... Lewmar Ocean 16... then google "how to service a lewmar ocean 16 winch" You will get a number of YouTube links.
Here's a hint... if you just want to service the winch (clean, lube, check springs, etc.) you don't have to remove it from it's mounting. You only remove the drum, usually by un doing a single screw or circlip... it just depends on the brand and model...Just do it carefully to prevent losing parts over the side... I like laying down a towel around the winch... some folks will cut a hole in a shallow box, placing it over the winch to trap any wayward pieces.

If you want to actually remove the entire winch for some reason... you still must remove the drum to get at the bolts holding the base to the boat.
Here's a Service Manual, for example.
Here's a vid on the entire process... lots lots more out there.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I agree. You can service the winch on the boat. I made a dam of paper to protect the gelcote, and I disassembled the winch, cleaned all the parts off the boat that I could. Then I used my Lewmar service kit to replace parts and lube them. You may need to have some mineral spirits in a squeeze bottle to rinse out some dried grease in parts if you cannot remove them. Keep some rags handy for this! Have a bag or a box into which you can place parts, so you do not foul the deck.

Nov 7, 2018
Macgregor 2002 Macgregpr 26X Sebring, FL
Thanks for the info. Got one winch off. It was completely frozen. Will rebed it tomorrow and lube. Thanks again!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If it was frozen you probably should rebuild it. Lube will be a temporary fix.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Eeek. I have seen some slow winches, but I have never seen one frozen. The grease must be ancient crust.