Winch Maintenance

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 77 Atlantic Highlands NJ NJ
Is there an alternative to the Harken or Lewmar brand winch grease? What kind of grease is it? I am in the process of cleaning, and re-assembling my Lewmar winches.

Also is there another dry lubricant besides Mc Lube?
Thanks

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Of course there are alternatives. They just cost less, is all.

Grease is simply soap and oil, except Harken and Lewmar greases have a little more snake oil.

In a dry environment I prefer a dry lubricant. In a wet environment, I'll use a lightweight oil on the springs and pawls.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Lewmar brand winch grease
I bought a tube of this stuff in 1998. I have serviced our four winches a number of times over the years. I still have HALF A TUBE LEFT! :)

Sure, you may try to save a few cents, but in the long run, it's not really an issue.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I knew some folks at Harken and was told they don't make the lube. It's re-packaged but I forgot the brand and type they mentioned. So it's a safe bet you can find an equivalent substitute at a reasonable cost. Whether searching is worth you time for saving a few bucks is the bigger question.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
So it's a safe bet you can find an equivalent substitute at a reasonable cost. Whether searching is worth you time for saving a few bucks is the bigger question.
Good point, Don.

Calder recommends a "Teflon based marine grease (Lubriplate, Marine Lube A, etc.)." [page 521, 2nd edition]

If you can find it, fine.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mr. ThinWater (aka Drew Frye) did an excellent piece last year or so where he evaluated several greases.. Published in Practical Sailor.. I think he may have posted results here on site as well? Check out his website at :
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Mr. ThinWater (aka Drew Frye) did an excellent piece last year or so where he evaluated several greases.. Published in Practical Sailor.. I think he may have posted results here on site as well? Check out his website at :
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/
Interesting website. Unfortunately, I didn't find the info on lubricants.

As for what I use on winches, it's the same grease that I use for every other greasable piece of metal on the boat, right down to the innards of my fishing reels. That would be Lucas Marine Grease. It's been working well for me for countless years. Before that, it was OMC green grease, but that was a long time ago.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Is there an alternative to the Harken or Lewmar brand winch grease? What kind of grease is it? I am in the process of cleaning, and re-assembling my Lewmar winches.

Thanks
This is what I use on my Lewmar winches:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Marine-Grease-14-oz/16928008

For dry lube on sail slides, cars, spinnaker snuffer sock, etc. I like this product with teflon:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-oz-Advanced-Dry-Lube-with-Teflon-16-TDL/202532762

-KBG

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego

Thanks
You can shop around for xlnt prices on Lewmar winch grease.... remember you don't use very much for winch service.... you're not repacking wheel bearings, here.
I found a tube for $16.64.
Like Stu, I acquired a tube 20 years ago to service my 6 winches and still have enough for god knows how long.
So.... even if I bought the complete winch service kit at todays prices ($31, google it) my yearly winch maintenance expense is maybe $1.50.
Is it really worth your time to find an alternative product?????

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Before that, it was OMC green grease, but that was a long time ago.
Man, that is a stroll down memory lane. Used that on everything when I was a kid, fishing reels included.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
There was a recent posting in March 2018 issue of Practical Sailor on various winch greases if you have a current membership.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've got samples of everything and I use Green Grease by Omni Lubricants (hint). It is a synthetic and is very resistant to wash-off. I've used it for decades, and it was introduced to it in some very wet, corrosive refinery applications. That said, Lewmar Grease is also a favorite. Very durable. The others... not so much.

Pawls are more complicated. Some winch manufactures (Anderson and Antal) spec grease (just a smear) and the rest spec machine oil (lasts less than a year due to evaporation and wash off). My current favorite is Valvoline HP Gear Oil, but you have to be careful with gear oils, because some don't play well with copper in the long term. Some long-term tests are just finishing up.

Subscribe to PS! Often I post stuff on my blog, but then take it down if it grows into a published article. I wish that was not the case, but it is the situation. I will also tell you that I go through the PS archives regularly, looking for stuff; they are search able and free with a subscription. Often a very fast way to find the bottom line on some equipment question.

McLube is great stuff for bolt ropes and not much else in the way of bearings. They sell One Drop for linear bearings (travelers and batten cars), where you should NOT use McLube. Certainly not in a winch. Read the McLube site.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Look at the big picture price of lube and oil from lewmar let say $40 now you use it for 5 years that works out to $8/year or 1 bottle of wine or 2 beers. I'm on year 8 on the lube and oil and do the winch twice/year.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
By the way, I never said or hinted that my lube choices were due to laziness or because they were cheaper. I have samples of many, many brands. I use what is best.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I bought a tub of "no name" white lithium grease, and a small bottle of "no name" machine oil, for a few bucks more than 10 years ago. I still use them for everything that needs greasing or oiling. They work well. Note that many hardware manufacturers do not actually make a number of products with their names on them. Lewmar doesn't make grease and, just for example, Yanmar doesn't make filters or belts. You can get good, or better products, from makers who actually make stuff. .

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I bought a tube of this stuff in 1998. I have serviced our four winches a number of times over the years. I still have HALF A TUBE LEFT! :)
I must be way over greasing my Lewmar's. Is there a good video showing how much grease to use on each piece of the winch?

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Many videos on you tube. Search for “videos on servicing Lewmar winches”.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Practical Sailor's recent issue recommended Finish Line Wet Bicycle Chain Lubricant as the oil of choice for lubrication of winch pawls only. Attributes included lubrication capacity and adherence as well as its ability to resist drying out. This product is not to be used as winch grease on bearings & gears, only for lubrication of pawls.