Winch Maintenance

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Over the weekend I noticed that my winch is leaking green grease. The grease must be breaking down. I think that these are most likely the original winches (1972). They are bronze. Time for some maintenance. I seem to remember reading just recently about how to do this task. I can't remember where, but I will do a little research. Is this a difficult job? Any tips or traps that I should be aware of before starting? Thanks, Kevin.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Any tips or traps that I should be aware of before starting?
1-Cut a cardboard box to fit around and underneath the winch before disassembly.
2- Do only one winch at a time.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
A winch from 1972 that has never been maintained???????

Please take pictures - I think you won the prize!

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
A winch from 1972 that has never been maintained???????

Please take pictures - I think you won the prize!
I will take pictures tonight and post them in the morning.

I am only assuming that there has not been any maintenance. The boat had been sitting in a garage for about 15 years before I purchased it.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
1-Cut a cardboard box to fit around and underneath the winch before disassembly.
2- Do only one winch at a time.
I am trying to visualize how the cardboard box is used. Can you please explain? Thanks!

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
@kclancy , C22's have small winches that are usually not very complicated. There are not too many gears, springs, or other small bits. I just took apart and fully cleaned the ARCO 6 winches that came original on 82 C-22 and am about reday to grease and reassemble them. Not a hard job at all. I'd recommend getting the Lewmar winch service kit that comes with winch grease and a nice brush plus a few pawls and springs. On second thought, don't buy that kit until AFTER you disassemble the first winch and verify what types of pawls and springs you will need. For cleaning, just get a bucket, some Simple Green and some CLR. For special tools, you should only need simple hand tools and maybe a pair of snap-ring pliers if you don't have them already.
Take some pics and post them here... Have no fear, its not a hard job.

Feb 20, 2011
I am trying to visualize how the cardboard box is used. Can you please explain? Thanks!
Fairly straightforward, just cut the box in from the side towards the center, where you'll cut a hole that will be slightly smaller than the winch's base. Contort the box to fit. A little tape wouldn't suck.
Yer welcome!

Last edited:
May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Fairly straightforward, just cut the box in from the side towards the center, where you'll cut a hole that will be slightly smaller than the winch's base. Contort the box to fit. A little tape wouldn't suck.
Yer welcome!
I use the box method, also. I take a fairly high sided box, cut a hole in the bottom, place the box over the winch and cut some of the working side of the box out to be able to access the winch. Keeps parts from going for a swim.

Feb 20, 2011
'Member; grease on the gears, light oil on the pawls and springs.
But you already knew that. ;)

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
You tube is your friend. You can likely find a video of how to maintain your particular brand. Remember, a little grease goes a long way.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Bronze ?! They will look nice cleaned, lubricated, and polished up.
I think that they are bronze. They may be just so dirty that they have developed a patina like bronze would. I am going to research how to clean up bronze surfaces and get started this weekend.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
The reason for the cardboard (either box or sheet) is to keep the little pieces on board when you drop them or they spring out at you.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
And $tingy Sailors awesome video:
Thanks Dave! I have seen those and will be using them as a guide. I think mine winches are a little different. It looks like mine might come apart with a screw from the top. I hope to get this project started this week.

Currently, I am finishing restoring the gelcoat on the hull, which should be completed this evening. It is turning out a lot better than I expected. I wet sanded the hull. Now I have compound rubbed one side and it looks great. I am doing the other today and then hit it with a cutting cream, wax and call it good. Once this work is completed, then come the winches because I want to fix the grease leak before restoring the topside gelcoat. It is now looking really bad compared to the hull....

On a side note, I have been getting out on Wednesday evenings at Folsom Lake with some folks. Last week there were nine sailboats on the water. You should join us. I have been jumping on a friend's boat since I have been working on mine. Let me know if you ever want to come out.

Kevin

Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
Thank you, Kevin!

I may just take you up on that. Thank you for the invite. I just completed my night class last week, so the boat has been top of my mind.
Have you posted before and after pics of your hull? I look forward to seeing it.
I have to replace bunks, tires and wire/lights on the trailer before I even start on the boat. I haven't even looked at the rigging. I did take apart the lower unit and replace the impeller and oil on my '99 5hp 4 stroke Evinrude I picked up last September. So, my next task is to get her in the water and fix the trailer. I should do what you've just done before I put my new CA #'s on.
It would be nice to see how it is supposed to be rigged. Oh yeah, and get out for a sail!

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hey Dave!
I need to put on my decals and then I'll post a pic.

Folsom Lake is full of woody debris. It was challenging last night to race around the buoys while dodging logs. It took us a lot of time at the take out because smaller pieces of wood were stuck up under the keel and in the keel trunk. Crazy!