Will this head sail work on my Hunter 30?

Sep 16, 2016
Hunter 30 Anacortes, WA
Noob here. Had a nasty tear in in our furling 135 genoa. Had it repaired, but it needs to go. Found an amazing deal on a brand new 135 genoa that was the original sail for a Hunter 27. The 'I' measurement is 2ft different, and I don't know if that's a deal breaker or not.
Thoughts?
Thanks for the help!!

scoob

Dec 9, 2016
Sage, Montgomery 17, 15, SageCat and 17 Denver
besides basic sail measurements along luff, leech and foot a sail need to have the correct draft. each boat is a bit different on the best sail shape.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I (no pun intended) don't think "I" is a sail dimension. Is the luff 2' shorter? It may work with your furler but you'll be giving up some sail area.

Sep 16, 2016
Hunter 30 Anacortes, WA
I (no pun intended) don't think "I" is a sail dimension. Is the luff 2' shorter? It may work with your furler but you'll be giving up some sail area.
Ha! Very true...I'm used to my headsail running the full length of the forestay, didn't know if that was problematic in and of itself!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The "I" is the "hoist" of the headsail.... or the distance from deck to halyard block at mast head. What you want to know is the Luff measurement.. Since the sail in question is from a Hunter 27, it will definitely fit on your 30, but I think the size will disappoint you... and affect boat performance.

The following data was taken from www.thesailwarehouse.com.
A stock Hunter 27 standard rig 110% jib dimensions: Luff = 31.50 and L.P. (luff perpendicular) = 12.90
So the area/size of the sail is .5 x L x LP or around 203 sq ft.

The 135 genoa on a Hunter 27 standard rig is Luff 33 and LP 15.10 for 249 sf

For the Hunter 30 standard rig.... the 110 would be Luff 39.3 L.P. 14,2 for 279 Sf
the 135 would be L 39 and LP 17.25 for 336.3 sf....!!!!

What this tells you is that even if your H27 good deal sail is the 135 genoa at 249 sf....be more like a 100% jib size for your H 30.... But wait.... even though you might find this acceptable.... you must consider the geometry of your rigging.... i.e. jib leads, and tack height. It just may not fit the deck layout.

If the sail does match up to your deck layout and you are happy with a non overlapping headsail... it may work out after all.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Hoist it up on light-no wind day take look at it . Measure any mods take to sail maker get price to modify

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What year is your boat and the sail for a Hunter 27, what year is that boat. That would then help us to know what specifically we are dealing with as everyone then can go and look at the deminsions under boat information for that model year. Then you would have a better response.