Will Memorial Day Weekend Prove Good for Cruising in Southern CA?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Memorial Day Weekend is nigh upon us; I'm confident that many of us are "chomping at the bit" to get out after the rather "difficult" months of March, April, and early May. No gales or SCAs in the present forecast for Santa Cruz Island, at least. But-- the weather is forecast to turn "cold" even if sunny on Saturday and Sunday. Cold here means 55 to 65 deg F; but highs near 60 are forecast early then warming through the weekend. We have the Espar, and I have the Balmar now installed (at last) to help keep the batteries up at anchor. Solar power @ 170 watts is also aboard. I think we're going to give it a go!:dancing:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
We are going to do a sea trial of the new autopilot, radar, AIS, etc. Then just turn everything back off and do some real sailing. :yeah:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Way to go guys. It is a weekend for needed sailing relief. Be safe and be ready.
Kimble. I found my AutoPilot to be a wonderful tool. I can see why so many give the AP a personal name. I would look back at my wake, either sailing or motoring and see an awesome straight line. I gave me more time to be scanning, while attending to the various tasks single handed. You'll love it.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I am sooo jealous!! I am really Jones-ing to get out and get some sailing in over the long weekend - unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) - I'll be recovering from minor heart surgery.. Darn - maybe the following week. I do have the week of June 12 blocked out to do some sailing.

Les

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I'll be recovering from minor heart surgery.
Les
Wow! There is such a thing as minor heart surgery? I'd say that recovering is fortunate. Let's look forward to a fine summer sailing season with many splendid days with long afternoons of sunshine, blue skies, and mild winds of favorable direction!

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Good Luck with the surgery Les. And listen everyone...Don't forget...there is a reason for Memorial day...:clap:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The NOAA forecast is beginning to call for windier conditions over the zone, especially on Saturday; but with some warming. Wind advisories may be in our future around Santa Cruz Island. Still feasible thus far, however.:cool:

Oct 22, 2014
there is a reason for Memorial day
Yes there is Kimble. and it is not the sales.... as you most likely know...
IMG_8270.jpg
February 14, 2013.
Honoring my Mother and Father at Arlington National Cemetery.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
My wife's Mom and Dad are in Arlington...Semper Fi to my fallen Marine friends.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
My Dad would have been 98 today. He was 3rd Armored Division. My Uncle was Army Air Corps and ended up in the Pacific. Both are missed every day.

Oct 22, 2014
My Dad would have 91 today. Enlisted in WWII. Was released from pilot school, Went to college NROTC. Commissioned in the navy. The Navigational Officer of an LST made the last run of a Navy ship 30 some miles up the Yangtze River in I think 49. Anchored the ship over a sand bar. Marooned the ship when the tide fell 30 feet. Changed course and went into Supply. Served over 35 years and retired as 2 Star. Buried together with my Mom, is wife of 63 years, on Valentines Day in Arlington 2013. His aide still greats them with flowers on Valentines.

May we all have such great life experience. May we understand and recognize the extraordinary men and women who have given of themselves so we can have the freedoms we enjoy.
God Bless America.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have my 5' x 10' cotton Star-Spangled Banner to fly from high on the backstay. I bought it specifically for this day of the year; the only day on which it flies.

Old Glory.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Looks like nice weather all the way up the West coast. Mid temps in the mid 80's here in Oregon.
We are all going to burn...:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Just a brief report here. The weather was good to excellent most of the time. Friday's winds were light and variable with low seas under sunny skies, where we made the 23 n.mi. under power to Prisoners Harbor (Santa Cruz Island) well before noon. Missed the sweetest spot in the nearly-empty anchorage by but a few minutes as the one other boat there, a late-model Morgan 41 OI (nicely upgraded) anchored first as we stood by. Our turn came next, so we got the next-best spot.:waycool:Eventually, a (very) few other boats came in, and it was a quiet night. Saturday saw some late morning winds at 15-17 kt under a sunny sky. A few (power) boats coming in had troubles anchoring. One tried several times over 45 min and eventually departed. I expected there might be trouble when a powerboat named "Hot Rod" :yikes:arrived and tried to anchor off my port bow. Eventually, he dragged into the boat behind him, a Nordic Tug; then the tug started dragging a bit later. So both of them left the anchorage.:clap: The eel grass was high and dense although I think there had been considerable operator error. Sailboats did not suffer the same problems. Lumpy Saturday night until 2300; Sunday & Monday good, but cool and overcast on Monday until late afternoon. Monday night calm in Little Scorpion due to light winds all day. Tuesday we sailed home, reaching on a 15-17 kt westerly in low seas under an overcast sky. Very nice but the Admiral had to don her Eskimo apparel and sip on a ration of Pussers to stay comfortably warm. :dancing: BTW-- the Balmar 150 amp charging system lived up to expectations and we had no trouble this time keeping the batteries up. IMHO--installation of a high output alternator over a stock one is FAR, FAR better (and much classier) than lugging a portable generator along with which to annoy your neighbors!! Thanks guys--Gunni & Maine Sail!!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I don't need to charge the batteries, I annoy the neighbors to make hot water after a couple days because the Admiral insists on a shower EVERY day, needed or not.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I don't need to charge the batteries, I annoy the neighbors to make hot water after a couple days because the Admiral insists on a shower EVERY day, needed or not.
A couple of years ago I was moored in Cat Harbor next to a guy with a wife of similar "needs." He cranked up the Honda 2000 to support a hot shower for her and then evidently "forgot" about it, with them leaving the boat for some 2+ hours with it running for us to hear and endure over that time. Of course--apologies, apologies, etc. But, I'd much rather have my two hours of peace and solitude that I'm paying for with mooring fees (on that day), plus the effort to get the boat to Cat Harbor--35 n.mi., mostly upwind, from a Long Beach point of departure.:deadhorse:

Last edited: