Registered users don't see ads
  1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

Will it hold?

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by TomY, Jul 22, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Captain Larry-DH

Captain Larry-DH

Joined Jun 14, 2010
    390 posts, 141 likes
    Quorning Dragonfly 1200
    US home
    (Yes responding to my own post. ) I'd add that Dyneema single braid is slippery, so it's a good idea to tape over the lashing knots to be sure they don't loosen up from "working". It'll probably be stronger than your rigging.

2. All U Get

All U Get

Joined Oct 2, 2008
    2,589 posts, 309 likes
    Pearson/ 530
    US Strafford, NH
    I used a soft shackle for a stainless shackle on my topping lift and made 1000 miles up the coast this year. Just tie it like monofilament fishing line on a hook. You sound like you're near Defender, they could set you up with something, probably overnight.

3. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    2,806 posts, 319 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    You will probably be able to find a permanent replacement turnbuckle soon enough. If you can't in New England, give up!

But for a jury rig, there are many other things you can do, limited only by the tools and materials available nearby or on hand.

You could get some flat steel bar, perhaps scrap stainless, make two pieces with holes in the ends; slack the opposing shroud and bolt this to the rigging eyes. Then tighten up the rig.

Similarly, you could use s short piece of chain between those quick links, selecting it so that a number of links can be selected that is close to the tightened turnbuckle length, and install as above.

Salvage a turnbuckle - is there a baby stay or some other rigging that is non-critical?

4. T Dunn

T Dunn

Joined May 23, 2018
    3 posts, 3 likes
    Allied Princess
    US Southwest Harbor
    Rigging Only (riggingonly.com) in Fairhaven, MA can get a turnbuckle to you in one day. If you must sail lash it with dyneema or equivalent. Fortunately it is only a lower, so you are unlikely to lose the spar and there is no risk of your spar buckling as mentioned above.

5. Jacktar

Jacktar

Joined Sep 14, 2014
    628 posts, 224 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Pensacola, Florida
    Aha, yes that is a problem, may be why did not notice the threaded portion backing out until too late.

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!