Will a Mac25 keel boat fit on a macgregror 26 trailer?

Jun 30, 2012
macgregor 25 canyon lake, tx
So I drove 500 miles round trip and bought a Macgregor trailer. When I arrived at home I noticed it looked different from my Mac25 trailer. :banghead: Is it a newer version which will also fit my boat or did I unknowingly buy a 26s trailer which will not work? This is the trailer I bought:
20180709_091503.jpg

And the crusty rusty I need to replace before I can sail again looks like this:

Please have good news for me...:stupid:

Jun 30, 2012
Thank you for the reply. Both are showing 19". Well the loaded trailer (the old one) is more like 18" but i think thats from not being able to get a straight edge to do a proper measurement. Maybe the front roller on the new trailer was added by previous owner. The donor hull had crazy mods, like this custom transom pass thru motor mount:

Any other important measurements I should consider that you know of?

Jun 30, 2012
yeah the front roller that caused my concern looks like a mod. It doesn't look factory because its angle iron instead of "c" channel. I'll try loading up my mac25 but if any other mac owners think I'm wrong please reply to this thread, I won't attempt for a while.

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Sumner's right, that's not a 26 trailer. It looks a little odd, in that the "v" is way lower than the aft roller, removing the suggestion that it's for some kind of skeg keel setup. What's different between your 25 trailer and this one measurement wise?

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Dustfish,

Your new-to-you trailer looks exactly like mine minus the rollers (which I've always thought about swapping out for the wooden rub bars), and the trailer guides, which need some attention, but would be helpful when you're trying to load the boat. I've never had them and I've been successfully loading up my Mac 25 for 33 years! I did notice that your old trailer does not have the short bar across the front third that your new one has. Mine has that short bar as well, and is from 1985, so perhaps "crusty rusty" is an earlier model? Also, I do like those fancy wheels on the new one... Good luck and get er wet!

Ron

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The vee is where the the swing keel rests, it does not fully retract on a 25. It does help center the boat on the trailer.

Sumner's right, that's not a 26 trailer. It looks a little odd, in that the "v" is way lower than the aft roller, removing the suggestion that it's for some kind of skeg keel setup. What's different between your 25 trailer and this one measurement wise?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
That trailer looks like the keel would be fully behind the axle.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The stern sets about seven feet aft of the axle and the end of the keel about four feet aft of thee axle. That is what my stock 25 trailer measures.

That trailer looks like the keel would be fully behind the axle.